Skip to main content

I have an old TV outside that is connected to my speakers outside via an AMP. This TV doesn’t have ARC support so I have an audio extractor to connect to my AMP.  It also won’t throughout CEC to my AMP so I have an IR repeater to connect to the AMP. 

It worked flawlessly on initial setup but now my IR connection is routinely dropped and won’t work. Everything else works great. The ONLY issue is the IR connection. 

I’ve seen several post about IR issues from Sonos stuff (mainly the Beam but I’ve seen a few issues with AMP too). Is this something that is going to be addressed?

Im positive this is a firmware issue. 

yes I have done every trouble shoot. It is not my remote (batteries new, etc etc). It is not my repeater (it works extremely well and I can reproduce the issue even when lint my remote directly at the AMP in my AV room). I’ve reduced any interference possible by completely covering the IR sensor with tape but with the transmitter under that and facing it. 

I can get the AMP to occasionally resume working with IR after a prolonged restart when I leave my amp unplugged for several minutes. 

Any ideas?  I’m at a loss and so upset that I got everything perfect and now it’s down to an issue/flaw I can’t fix. 

The IR codes are arbitrary. Have you tried using a different set of codes? It’s possible that the codes you are using are on the edge for some reason and a different set will be more successful.

There can be issues if the IR receiver is exposed to both the direct and repeater emissions. With respect to repeaters, it’s possible that the emissions are too strong, saturating the IR receiver.

If this is a firmware issue it is fairly unique to your situation.

Is there any time of day bias?

And, of course, we cannot rule out hardware failure, but I cannot remember any reported here.

The amp is in an AV closet so it only sees the repeater. No direct (unless I’m troubleshooting and then the repeater is turned off). 

This repeater has a fairly weak signal  I had to place it directly in front of sensor before it worked.

It is also completely reproducible, even without using the repeater. The amp just quits receiving IR signal after a period of time.

The remote is a Roku. Is there a way to change codes for Roku remotes?  I don’t know how if so. 

Here is the ROKU documentation. Pick an arbitrary model to control. If you use a cable box remote re-configure it to control the same model.

I’ve got a Sony TV that it works well with. Will try a different code with Sony and see how it goes but again, I don’t think it’s the remote.  The amp IR sensor seems to time out after a period of time and idk why. Will report back after changing code. 

There is only one Sony code for Roku remote. It’s not the remote. I know this because it’s been setup multiple times with the same remote and works very well for a certain period of time then cuts out and stops working.   It can be reproduced by restarting the AMP. It’ll work well and then stop after a while. It is not clear why it stops working but is very clear that I can be fixed by Sonos amp restart (most of the time).

So, have you provided a diagnostic before and after failure for the engineers at Sonos to look at, and called in to let the Support folks know what to pass on to the engineers? If you’re positive it’s a firmware issue, giving them hard evidence to track down would be my first step. 

It does strike me as unusual/odd that this issue is only occurring on your system, and there isn’t a plethora (relatively speaking) of others complaining about this issue. But it may just be that others aren’t noticing it. 

I just think this is a very isolated type of setup … distant AV closet AMP connected to a TV old enough to not output CEC to the HDMI connection. There is a plethora of issues regarding the BEAM with similar complaints and I think it has something to do with the firmware regarding IR. 

https://en.community.sonos.com/topic/show?tid=6827194&fid=228993

Ive tried everything. I’ll see if Sonos can eval diagnostics but my guess is they’ll want to replace the amp and I know nothing is inherently wrong with my amp.  

Reproduced yet again this evening.  Sent pre problem diagnostics (working remote) and post problem diagnostics (non working remote). Of note, it took less than an hour to stop working. Not clear why. And again. Clearly reproduced with turning amp off and then back on to get functioning again. 

I even completely turned off my IR transmitter to make sure it wasn’t a problem with that and yet again just a few hours later, the AMP is yet again not responding to my remote.  This is very clearly a firmware issue with the IR sensor. I hope they can find the issue and my diagnostics help at least a little. 

Just to close the loop, I have an update. I think I’ve isolated my issue. My arc extractor must be sending a CEC signal or some type of signal of some sort that is confusing the amp and cussing it to stop its IR responses.  I’m trouble shooting this now and it has been working for 24 hr straight now so I am hopeful. 

I initially got the extractor thinking my TV would send CEC to control volume but the TV just won’t do it. So I went it IR sensor which would work (with the above issues). 

If this works, I will remove the extractor from the setup and connect my amp to TV via optical (via optical/hdmi adapter) and continue using IR remote for volume control.   I’m hopeful this will solve my issue 🤞🏼

Well my problem is unfortunately still present. i believe there is something wrong with the amp and it gets confused when there is signal from the hdmi input.   

I tested an entire weak while waiting for the Sonos optical adapter and while the hdmi was unplugged, the IR sensor worked perfectly.  

Within a day of plugging in the hdmi (via optical port from the TV), the IR sensor again stopped working.  

This has to be a firmware issue and I hope they can find it but I just don’t think they’ll even look

When reporting an issue it is very helpful when you provide a diagnostic.

I have reported two diagnostics. One while IR was working and the other once it quit working. 

Working IR: 275343604

Non working IR: 1975632550

I have just installed the new update (15.3). I am not optimistic but I hope once I reboot the amp, it will work for good. 

I have done two diagnostics (one when IR working and another once it stopped).  I tried to post the numbers to a post but Sonos said they are reviewing my post before allowing it to post 🤔

Either way, I have two diagnostics and have asked Sonos to look. Haven’t heard anything 

Your posts may have been sidelined by the spam filter. A few months ago there were aggressive spammers targeting the community. The spam filter was tuned to be more aggressive and now it seems to be over aggressive in some cases.

Note that SONOS support does not automatically respond to diagnostic submissions.

I opened a case before.  They wanted to replace my amp which I DO NOT think is necessary.  I think there is some sort of issue that is too reproducible to think it’s a hardware problem.  It’s some sort of firmware issue. 

I’ve reset the amp again and set it up from new again and if/when it goes out AGAIN, I will stop trying. I’ve troubleshot every point of possible failure and it’s always when the hdmi is connected that the IR goes out. Maybe it’ll get fixed one day but I’ll never know bc I won’t try again.

I’ve got an ikea volume sound knob that works great and I’m going to set it up with this room instead of my others now