Skip to main content

Hi Everyone,

I would appreciate your input on whether I can achieve what I am trying to.

Background:  We did a big renovation 10+ years ago.  As part of that we had in-ceiling Bose speakers installed by our contractor.  One pair in the kitchen, one in the adjacent fmily room and a pair outside on our deck.

We elected to drive these via an Onkyo Surround sound receiver which allowed an A & B zone (generally because we wanted to select between music inside and/or the deck).

This worked ok once I fiddled with the surround levels (I know, I know).

However, we now mostly listen to music via digital sources which I couldn’t easily do with theAmp/Receiver.

So. . .

I bought a Sonos Amp and a Russound SDB-6.1 (which I realize now is more than I needed, 6 PAIRS, not 6 speakers).

I wired the Kitchen pair to Speaker 1 L & R on the SDB-6.1, the Fam Room to Speaker 2 L&R and the Deck to Speaker 6 L&R.

I then connected the SDB-6.1 Amp #1 connections L&R  to the banana plugs for the Left & Right Speaker inputs on the Sonos Amp and set up the Amp.

With the appropriate speakers clicked to the on position on the SDB-6.1 and each individual volume control set to max, this yielded sound from only one speaker in the Kitchen and one on the deck.  I get no sound from any of the others.  Changing the volume levels on the SDB-6.1 makes no difference (other than reducing the volume on the speakers that are active).

I feel like I am missing something basic (eg I should be plugging the SDB-6.1 into the RCA jacks on the Sonos Amp?) or am missing another piece of equipment to make the signal from the Amp distributable to all the speakers.

Any help is appreciated.

@drsamehhanna,

Maybe this will assist, for correct impedance matching for the switch, see this YouTube video:

https://youtu.be/Bj5Jx_Xvt-Q

In the user manual HERE, are the charts for the correct jumper setting depending on the impedance of all your speakers. 

Furthermore, I see the switch has the option of two Amp inputs, so (not wishing to state the obvious) but did you connect the Sonos Amp positive/negative - left/right channels to the Amp ‘A’ input only as shown in the ‘attached’ diagram that I have screen-grabbed from the user manual?

Hope the above assists.

Another obvious question: were all of the speakers working immediately prior to installing AMP? If it’s been a while since you were playing the speakers it would be worthwhile to check the speaker wiring. Are there any in-wall speaker Volume controls?

There are various approaches that could be used to check the speakers. One could use an Ohmmeter to check the circuit, connect the speakers one-by-one to AMP, or connect a flashlight cell to each set of speaker wires and listen for a ‘thump’ at the instant the battery is connected.