Answered

Sonos Amp and 4 Play 1 Speakers Haven't Worked in 3 Weeks, Techs Can't Resolve

Badge

After 2 calls at over an hour each with techs over the last 3 weeks, I'm at a loss here before I sell this and get a different brand. 

System was great for the 2 years etc I've used it. I'm decent with the app and understand how to get the amp to play and connect the speakers to the amp through it. 

I did an update on the S2 app about 3 weeks ago and then all hell broke lose. Even after the update I did yesterday 12-6-22 nothing is better. 

No sound

I noticed the amp is 2.4ghz and speakers are 5ghz wifi on the Comcast app. This seems like a problem. 

We tried the wired ethernet approach and nothing happened. Like how could this not play after being hard wired to the router??

The only time it worked was when I unplugged the amp, then unplugged the router, then plugged the amp back in. The speakers came back on and I thought I fixed it. Couple hours later, dead again. 

I keep doing all the system diagnostics and it can't find 2 speakers and still no sound. 

I'll try one last tech call but maybe someone in here has resolved this before?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by buzz 8 December 2022, 16:28

View original

20 replies

Hi.  We would need a fuller description of your network set up in order to help, please.  In particular, is there any mesh network?  Extenders?

Do your 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands have separate SSIDs?

Badge

Thanks, I'm not sure if they do have different SSIDs as when I log onto my network there's just 1 name that I can see that I click. When I'm in the Xfinity app it shows they're on my gateway and details about each component. 

Mesh network, for Sonos its always been all wifi. When techs tried to walk me through connecting the one speaker it still didn't work after all the steps. 

Again, worked for years, did an app update and then it's now a mess.

Thanks

Hi.  App updates often get the blame but are rarely the cause.  Does the Xfinity mesh include a device that is acting as router, or do you have another router (e.g. one provided by your ISP) to which the Xfinity mesh connects?  If the latter, which device is acting as DHCP server (i.e. dishing out IP addresses).  What is the make and model of router (if applicable)?

Have you reserved any IP addresses for your Sonos devices?

Badge

I have 1 router,  Xfinitys. 

I have only 1 IP address that I'm aware of that everything connects too.

Thanks

I have 1 router,  Xfinitys. 

I have only 1 IP address that I'm aware of that everything connects too.

Thanks

Your router allocates an IP address to every device that connects to it.  It is how it identifies what’s what.  You may be thinking of your external IP address.  This link may (or may not) help.

https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/your-home-network/is-it-possible-to-reserve-an-ip-address-with-an-x1/6127b2e4fe4ec74e05f22bcb

It would also be a good idea to disable ‘band steering’ in the router settings.  

Please see this link too.  If security is set to WPA3 please change it.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/change-wifi-security-mode

Badge

It says WPA/WPA2 Personal

I'll have to look into if there's band steering but I wasn't really looking to turn into a Comcast tech to run my studio monitors for my business. 

Thanks for the time, I appreciate the help. 

Are there any error messages? It is odd that you can update the SONOS system, but it will not play music. What is the source of your music?

Describe your SONOS system. Which models? How many? Which units are wired to the network? How are you controlling the SONOS system? Android? Apple? Desktop?

Since this is a business network please describe any other network devices, such as network switches, WiFi helpers, and security devices. Are you using a VPN?

Post a diagnostic here. While regular Community members can’t access these, a different crew of SONOS employees have access and may have a different viewpoint and can escalate your issue. 

Badge

1 Sonos amp

4 Sonos play speakers

Android Galaxy S22 phone

Some of what you asked for I don't know. 

VPN? I'll have to look up. 

I unplugged the wifi booster so that it can't be an issue for now. 

I'll get back on the diagnostics, the app is sending me online which o click it. 

Badge

That's my Diagnostic # from Central Time,  1:58pm

Most likely this is a network issue, but I don’t have enough information about your network to make suggestions.

What color is the SONOS controller icon on your phone?

When you attempt to play music, what are the error messages?

Badge

Gold, S2 app. 

The amp is on 2.4ghz

The play ones usually go 5ghz

This is the problem,  when the pay ones get on 2.4ghz they play, this is the core problem,  amp doesn't go into 5g network. 

2 speakers are playing now because they found 2.4ghz.

Which model Router or Gateway are you using?

Badge

CGM4331COM

I really don't know if that's it from the picture, meaning from all these numbers which one is the model when it didn't say model on it. 

This model is also known as “XB7” and “TG4482A”. Are you using any of the Xfinity pods? I’ve had a couple of very poor experiences with the Xfinity version, yet I’m using another version of  that hardware daily with no SONOS issues.

It’s not very easy to navigate their support site. I’ll post this link because it might lead to something useful for someone who has more free time to dig further.

Badge

I have a wifi extender pod, I disabled it for a while and nothing changed or mattered as the speakers are still jumping into the 5g band. The Sonos network is clearly doing this and the heart of my issue…

Amp 2.4ghz

Play 1 speakers 5ghz

I need for the speakers to jump into the 2.4ghz band. 

How do I do that aside from doing a wired setup?

While my phone is also jumping on 5ghz I suspect that never mattered since there weren't any issues with that part for years. 

Thanks

Somewhere in that Gateway there is an option that is blocking communication between devices on the 2.4GHz and devices on the 5GHz segments. I don’t currently have Xfinity. While I had Xfinity (without any Xfinity pods) I had no trouble with SONOS and my controllers and SONOS players could freely jump between bands. Adding the pods may have enabled the blocking agent. You might be able to work with Xfinity support and have them remove the 2.4-5GHz block. You may need to work through several agents before you find one competent enough to do this.

Badge

I have a solution for now..

A friend had me go into my Xfinity router online

I turned off the 5g network (not real pumped about that)

You can't split bands on the white Comcast pods

Sonos Play 1 speakers then found the 2.4ghz network after I did a diagnostic check to find them. 

I like the idea of 2 networks and have the Sonos on the 2 4ghz but that's currently not possible and I'll need an exigent router that can support 1000mb speeds too. 

But…

The Play 1 speakers NEVER went to 5g before the update I did like 3 weeks ago. I had 5g and this specific white pod router for over a year without issue, something in the updates must've changed but if so, will it get corrected and we will all find out so guys like me can go back to 5g at my home?

Xfinity buys those pods from a 3rd party. The Xfinity configuration, in my opinion, is junk. I’m using the same pods (with a general purpose configuration) for my SONOS system without issues.

If you need additional access points I recommend dumping the Xfinity pods and use something else.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I have a SONOS system (Wired and Wireless) connected to a Xfinity XB7 Modem through multiple TP-LINK Managed Ethernet Switches. All SONOS wired ports are connected to the Ethernet Switches which have RSTP configured properly. My wireless SONOS devices are using SONOSNET. Use the Help About on the SONOS app and confirm that you are connecting the XFINITY Wi-Fi which I think you have already confirmed. All of my wireless SONOS are showing VM:0 which indicates SONOSNet.

We started having some music drops and SONOS wireless zones disappearing, and this started to occur after the SONOS V14.20 update. During that same time, I think XFINITY pushed an updated to the modem as it reset a couple of time one night.

I also have the 2nd generation Xfinity Pods to extend the Wi-Fi network, but these are not being used by my SONOS equipment.

Badge

Update for Friday Dec 30th, long one and I'm done unless something else stupid happens to waste my life. 

The Sonos system eventually went back onto the different networks, unreal. That's partially due to Comcast I think but who cares, it never happened before the update from like a week before this thread. 

After hours going to Comcast and other days talking with techs they did nothing but make things worse. Actually days ago it was so bad after 80 minutes I had them put me back to normal and we're done. 

Now, I was told my router was a GP7 or whatever it's letters are,  the 1st tech said that's a new merged router that chooses the band for the items, or whatever. Can't be split but…

GP6 can be split into separate bands that you can send items to. Ok cool, they're gonna send me that one. 4 days later,  I get the exact same router I have GP7. WTF

BTW, I now have to go there and return it, wasting more f'ing time so I'm gonna waste their time and talk with the manager about this bs and get a credit. 

So I decide to wire 1 speaker to ethernet (Sonosnet?) and the system finds the 2.4ghz but it's choppy with drop outs every 10 seconds. This happens for over a week and really sucks for music classes. 

I just did the latest Sonos update, now it works like before, solid and no drop outs. WTH??

All this started with an update I didn't need to do, all this bs ended with an update. I could've saved at least 10 hours of my life and $50 minimum on a Netgear router so.....

Moral of the story, don't update if it's working correctly. I'm not updating the Sonos app anymore. 

Sonos should consider releasing updates linked to software techs pay, you miss something you miss money. Us costumers have this very thing happen to us but worse, we lose time chasing ghosts that can't be resolved easily or at all by us. 

After a month of zilcho my $1700 system finally works like it's supposed to, but after all this I'm looking for your replacement as my music classes weren't so great during all this down time. I wouldn't have needed to do any searching for your replacement if the techs can test the updates on a smaller scale first and get feedback before going full scale. Or at least put out a comment to all customers through the app that you're working on the resolution so don't chase any ghosts wasting your time on something you the user can't resolve.