Skip to main content

Sonos:5 won't stop playing random music! The controller app doesn't think anything is playing, so happily plays along! It took a long time to pin down what was happening because it was playing on the lowest volume setting and I was going nuts thinking I was hearing things. It seems to be a free station so there are ads mixed in too.

The controller app shows nothing is playing, and when I use the physical button on the speaker it turns off for maybe a second, then right back on. The volume buttons seem to control the “phantom” station independent of what I play through the app. I’ve read about the Spotify issue allowing other users (on or off your wifi), but I would have assumed I could still both see what was playing and change it if this were the issue - no?

It is connected via wifi only (no ethernet or line-in).

Try unplugging the speaker from power for a couple of minutes and rebooting your router.

Have you shared your Spotify account with anyone? What kind of Spotify subscription plan do you have?

Thanks, I’ll try that. I don’t have a Spotify account, but we have certainly shared our wifi password with others that undoubtedly do. Is this the expected behavior if that is the root cause? The ability to play two sources at once surprises me; I remember trying to do this with double-deck tape decks in my youth!

Which model speaker?

Here’s the model info for the Play:5

Next time it happens submit a diagnostic within a few minutes and contact Sonos support with the number it provides. They can likely tell you what started the music playing.

Do you have anything plugged into Line-In?

Is the sound from a local terrestrial radio station?

No line-in or Ethernet connections, only wifi.

BTW, the suggestion above of unplugging and replug gong in has, at least temporarily, stopped the issue. I’ll update here if it starts again.