Question

Sonos 5 Mutes while using Auxiliary Input from Alexa.

• 6 October 2020
  • 5 replies

Seen this issue multiple times now, and it seems like it is on the Sonos Side of the house.  I use an 2nd Gen Alexa to control my 5 speaker (via the auxiliary input).  Occasionnally (several times / week) the music audio simply stops.  The Alexa is still responding but you cannot hear her responses and you cannot hear the music that is playing.  There is an easy fix that I’ve found, in unplugging the auxiliary input from the Sonos, wait a few seconds, and plug it back in.  When I unplug from the Alexa side, the music starts to play via the Alexa (so it was playing all along).  When you unplug from the Sonos and plug back in, it typically starts to play again.  Once I had to power cycle the Sonos to get the music started again. 

I’ve seen this issue streaming both from Amazon Music and also Sirius XM Streaming (not sure that it matters, but as a point of reference).  The 5 is an excellent speaker and I love the volume of music and tone, absolutely love the purchase and experience. 

Thank You in advance,

Marc

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

That does seem odd to me. Do you happen to be using the ‘auto-play’ function on the line in? I think part of that system is a ‘turn off if the incoming signal is too low’ process, and might, if the line in signal is perceived incorrectly, to shut down the line in. I think (never tested) that turning off Auto-Play turns off that feature. It might be worth a test at least, and if it works, might suggest an increase in volume on the Alexa device (and a corresponding decrease in the Sonos software) so that the line in is perceiving something closer to a standard line level input, which is really what it is expecting/designed for. I do think it has challenges with variable level inputs.

Of course, you might get better information if you were to submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, there are more options available beyond just the diagnostic analysis. 

Hi. Why are you using the auxiliary line in? Why not use the Sonos skill for Alexa?

The 5 does not have a microphone on it, so it’s the only way to voice control the speaker.  

@Bruce, I’m not changing the volume with the Alexa at the time of the muting, but just tried increasing the Alexa volume to maximum to see if it works.  I think I had it around 5-6 on a 10 point scale.  So not likely the issue, but will try to be sure.  I will also look to submit a diagnostic the next time it happens.  It’s very strange (on the Sonos end)  as I unplug the auxiliary connection (on Alexa, Alexa starts the music through speaker at that time).  Only after unplugging on the Sonos end and re-plugging back in, does the volume start again.

Thank You for the tips, I will try and see if I have any further luck with your suggestions.  I will also post to this thread if (and when) I get a resolution to the issue.

Marc

The 5 does not have a microphone on it, so it’s the only way to voice control the speaker.  

NO IT ISN'T. 

There is a much much better way of doing this. Please start by reading this. 

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3439?language=en_US