Skip to main content

I have an odd configuration in my office/game room. Opposite my TV is a doorway to an unfinished space. I plan on adding Sonance speakers to use as surrounds, but they will be pretty high up as one needs to go above the door jam itself. As such, I don’t have the vertical height to install the speakers in a vertical position, which is what all the documentation suggests to do. I know speakers will beam form based on a given orientation, so will I be better off placing the in-wall speakers horizontal, or buying the in-ceiling speakers and using them as in-walls instead?

Hey @alkie4life, welcome back!

I would definitely recommend NOT to buy the in-ceiling speakers and place them as in-wall speakers.

Each type of Sonance speakers have been designed for a specific purpose and placing the in-ceiling speakers as in-walls would go against that purpose and I cannot guarantee the outcome.

I recommend reaching out to our Sales team, bringing along a floor plan of your office/game room, as they can suggest you the best possible setup for your needs.

My response to your thread placed it on the top of the activity list in our community, maybe other members can help you out as well, though it would be easier with some photographs and/or plans for a more accurate suggestion.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply. I ended up buying the in-walls. They haven’t arrived yet but I’m not thinking about moving them to side walls instead of opposite the TV. That will be a harder install but I think I can make it work.

If I read your post right, the surrounds will not be pointed to the TV, but at eachother?

Correct. I’m currently using a Sonos Beam soundbar on the TV alongside a sub-mini. So I’m adding the in-walls to create a 5.1 setup. Based on Sonos’ install guide, when creating a 5.1 setup they recommend installing the surrounds on the side walls. I originally didn’t want to do this because the wall opposite the TV has unfinished space behind it. So I just figured it would be easier to put them on that wall but it would have to be high and oriented horizontally due to a door jam that enables access to the unfinished space. I’m now thinking I’m just going to put them on side walls and go through the pain of running speaker wires behind finished walls. This will make it a more difficult install but allow me to keep them orientated vertically. Unless someone here has put them horizontally without issue or if Sonos says that is a fine thing to do?

You state :”Based on Sonos’ install guide, when creating a 5.1 setup they recommend installing the surrounds on the side walls.”

Normally surrounds are mounted on the back wall facing towards the TV, preferably at ear height. I’d say this would also be the case with in wall speakers - though I understand perfect placement can not always be achieved, I do not think Sonos would advise this. Can you link to where you found this install guide?

So full disclaimer, I don’t have the speakers yet so this was just what I found via Google Search. The site seems like it might be sketch but the PDF itself looks legit. Anyway, when the speakers actually arrive I can confirm one way or the other.

https://www.goedkopermetschakelmateriaal.nl/media/catalog/product/pdf/8717755776006.pdf

You’re right. This looks legit. They must be designed to allow for this placement.

I wouldn’t worry about horizontal vs vertical orientation for surround speakers. At the very highest end of performance there are arguments in favor or vertical orientation for front L/R speakers. It’s a subtle difference for most listeners. The apparent location of a speaker is the tweeter location. In a horizontal L/R arrangement the speakers will seem farther apart when tweeters are facing out. In vertical wall mount the speakers will seem lower if oriented with tweeters down. If the tweeters are very close to a wall, the stereo “imaging” will not be as precise. Having the woofer close to a sidewall will increase the bass somewhat. Flipping horizontal speakers that are close to a sidewall such that the woofers are closer to the side walls will increase bass and improve imaging, and the speakers will apparently be closer to each other.

Ceiling speakers tend to be round while wall speakers tend to be rectangular. Mostly this is a visual preference. There are arguments that round speakers where the tweeter and woofer share the same axis offers smoother overall performance. Again, it’s a subtle difference.

Bottom line, use rectangular speakers for the surround, if you like, and flip them to fit over the door if this is your only option. As others have noted, surrounds work better when at ear level and behind the listener. However, if the surrounds are only a foot or two from a listener, the closest speaker will dominate and the listener will need to be positioned exactly at the midpoint. This would diminish enjoyment for everyone if there are multiple listeners because only the central listener will receive full benefit from the surrounds.

This is a wide angle shot of the room. I’m standing in front of the TV position (although it’s a few feet behind me). If I put them on the side walls, I can get them lower and vertical, closer to ear height and within Sonos’s recommended 5’ - 7’ height. If I put them on the back wall they have to be horizontal due to the door jam and would be at about 7.5’ of height. I’m probably over thinking this...

Have you mapped out your stud locations in the walls? Quite often you’ll find one just where you wanted to put something.

I’d consider putting the speaker beside the door rather than over it.

You might make some temporary speaker supports and try them in the different locations to see how you like the sound in each. A simple 2x4 support with a cross bar for the speaker to sit on should be adequate for testing.