Answered

SkyQ Remote Voice Control Stops Working when Paired with Playbase?

I have a Playbase with 2 Sonos Ones all set up and working excellently. I use the SkyQ remote to control the volume of the Playbase but since pairing the remote with the Playbase the voice control stops working with the SkyQ box.

I have reset the remote so it is not paired with the Playbase and the remote voice control starts working again with the Q box. For some reason when you pair the Q remote with the Playbase it disables the remote Voice control function. Any ideas on how to fix this appreciated.

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 18 May 2022, 22:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I’m not personally familiar with the Sky Q system or it’s ‘remote’, but my first thoughts are it’s perhaps a case that to control Sonos products, the Sky remote switches over to infrared control, but for its in-built voice services, it requires a different type of connection, like Bluetooth  for example🤔? ..and so perhaps it cannot do both simultaneously - it maybe needs to be one type of connection, or the other. 

I would maybe speak to the Sky Q support desk to see if there is a way around the issue, or just use another/different device ‘remote’ instead for the Playbase volume control using IR.

I’d agree with Ken. I suspect the ‘voice control’ works via CEC, and is lost across a optical connection. It would probably work with an Arc or Beam, since they use the ARC connection via CEC. 

hi Ken thanks for your reply. I think you are correct the SkyQ switches to IR on pairing with Sonos and cannot do both functions.

Userlevel 7

hi Ken thanks for your reply. I think you are correct the SkyQ switches to IR on pairing with Sonos and cannot do both functions.

What Sky Q remote do you have? I have the Sky Q Touch Edition and voice control worked when I previously used it with a Playbar, and it still works currently with the Sonos Arc.