Answered

Skipping tracks

From time to time my sonos starts skipping the tracks after playing approx one minute of a track. This loop continues until I power off/on the unit. Then it plays ok a few days and then starts the loop again.

Any ideas?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 25 August 2023, 12:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

What is the source of your music?

This is a communication issue. If a player cannot fetch data for a track, it will abandon that track and attempt the next track in the playlist.

Describe your network and SONOS system for us. Include model numbers. What is wired? Wireless?

It's a Connect 

Ser.no. *********************

All wireless.

Nothing has been changed when this problem startet a few month ago.

The source is typically a playlist on Spotify.

The tracks shifts every approx one minute.

Moderator edit: removed serial number as it’s identifying information. Also, it is of no use here.

We cannot rule out a hardware issue with CONNECT.

Which router are you using?

It's a Linksys E2000

Since it’s Spotify (mostly), we can’t ignore the potential bug on their servers, either. 

But then it's hard to imagine that the problem should disappear when I switch the Connect off an on.

There are a number of possibilities. If you have not done so, I recommend “reserving” IP addresses in your router. See page 19. Before doing this, I recommend powering down all of the network clients and the router. Bring things online in the following order:

Router
Switches, if any
Wired SONOS, if any
Wireless SONOS
NAS, if any
Everything else

Allow each step to complete before moving to the next step. I know that this is a lot of bother, but it only needs to be done once — for a given router. This cures a number of common intermittent issues. You could get away without doing this 100 times in a row, then on 101 the phantom strikes and the incorrect assumption is that the last updated application or added product is broken.

Another possibility is that the router power supply is failing. This can result in intermittent, very hard to describe issues. If you can measure Voltage, the power supply should be at least 12v. Otherwise, if you have another appropriate power supply, swap power supplies.

Finally, there have been a few reports of corrupt CONNECT memory. This is not something that you can check, but it can result in intermittent issues if the firmware attempts to use this defective area. You have no control over which areas will be used.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Turn crossfade off.

Thanks,

I appreciate your suggestions but this system has been running for years - and with DHCP and with no problems. No other systems, apps or units but the Sonos in the total configuration is failing which would probably also be the case if the power supply were failing.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

So you tried switching crossfade off?

The simple response is there is no electronic system, using a network based solution for connection, that doesn’t change. The change could be local, as in caused by an update to your router, or even your router attempting to deal with new sources of interference, or it could hope outside, with potential changes to DNS information, or the streaming server itself being updated for some reason. 

There is zero reason to think that merely because it has worked in the past, and you made no changes, that there weren’t any changes. Easy to accept that you made no changes, a lot more difficult to comprehend a completely static network. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Jorgen Nielsen 

As discussed by our smorgasbord of community experts here, there are several reasons why you could be experiencing the problems you describe.

I do recommend you test disabling the Crossfade feature, as suggested by @sjw, as there is a known bug regarding Crossfade and Spotify at present - if that solves the issue, I recommend you leave Crossfade disabled for the time being.

There is also the possibility that there are local network issues - if sources other than Spotify play without issue, it’s less likely that this is the case. 

It’s also not impossible that there is a hardware-related issue - some of our older players now struggle with Spotify and a few other sources. Making your Connect a member of a group led by a newer player could resolve this for you.

For a definitive answer, however, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports - the Connect’s logs should contain the answer.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Jorgen Nielsen 

Apologies - the issue with Spotify skipping when Crossfade is enabled was in fact resolved on the 22nd of this month.

What is crossfade?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Jorgen Nielsen 

Crossfade is where the next track starts playing a few seconds early and the current track and the next track are faded together. As the issue with it is now resolved, it cannot be the cause of what you are reporting (assuming you’ve seen the issue since the most recent update).