Skip to main content

I see this is a recurring and persistent issue here, so joining the chorus of users who are having issues streaming SiriusXM radio via my Sonos system. I can usually connect and SiriusXM will play for an hour (if I’m lucky; it often cuts out much sooner) before the stream drops. Once the stream dies I get the “song not encoded correctly” error which makes no sense. I can usually restart the stream after waiting for 5–10 minutes.

I have worked with support multiple times and tried all of the “fixes” spending hours on the phone. Ultimately they said it must be my wifi, even though that mode no sense, so I upgraded my wifi and the problem still happens every 20-30 minutes and ONLY with Sirius. SiriusXM is my favorite provider and I am desperately seeking a solution.

Hi @BuckeyeJen 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Short of the usual “reboot Sonos and your network”, there isn’t much I can say without knowing more information.

Please let me know the details of your network (router used, anything that extends the reach of WiFi, how Sonos connects) and, after recreating the issue, immediately submit a diagnostic and reply here with the number given - I’ll take a look for you.

I’m having the same issues with SiriusXM. It started today and continues. I also have tried everything. Sonos has to know about this! Perhaps an app update is forthcoming 

Mine has been going on for a couple months and seems to be getting worse. 

My router is provided by ATT broadband, no extenders, The latest diagnostic is 832675190

i would appreciate any help🤗

Did you submit a diagnostic and call in? It’s possible that the issue you’re experiencing is a completely different cause than the original poster. Also, have you checked the link on this page that says “View real-time service status? I’m seeing this when I do so:

SiriusXM - Unable to start playback

Investigating - We are currently investigating this issue.
Oct 19, 17:37 UTC

Hi @BuckeyeJen 

Thanks for the diagnostics.

First, your Move is connecting to a secondary WiFi access point that it keeps getting disconnected from. Is this a WiFi booster/extender? These are unsupported. You may see an improvement from rebooting the access point, but you may also need to adjust settings on it. At a guess, I think separating the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands so they have different names may help.

In addition, when your system attempts to index your music library, it’s getting pointed towards an external IP address. This is typically due to the Internet Service Provider running a DNS Hijack in order to give you “friendly” “404 page not found” errors when browsing. You would need to tell your ISP to turn this off.

AT&T / Time Warner Cable / Spectrum

• In your browser, type in a nonsense website name, like jsdfhkshgru.com, into an address bar. Scroll to the bottom of the error page, click Opt In or Opt Out of this Service, and disable the first setting for DNS redirection. 

As for the SiriusXM playback issue, you are not the first to report this, and your diagnostics show the same repeated messaging as the last I saw with this issue. I’ve reported this up the chain of command and we’re now investigating further. Thanks for reporting! I assume this is not related to the outage reported by @Airgetlam, which is now resolved.