Skip to main content
Answered

Setup / Sound Quality with Pro-ject 1 SB - How to Fix?

• 24 December 2022
  • 1 reply

Hello, I recently acquired my first turntable and I am wildly unfamiliar how to optimize the setup. I went with the Project T1 SB which I am running through a Sonos connect and Dynaudio Focus XD 60 Active speakers. 

The player was purchased new, and the instructions say I just needed to install the drive belt and platter, the cartridge and VTF were already factory set. Upon playing my first record, the stylus immediately skates to the center of the record, once it stops there the sound is better, but highly unstable. It’s crackly, skips a little bit and the volume is not consistent. 

Any idea what the issue is? How do I go about troubleshooting this and calibrating it? Secondly, is there anything I should check regarding initial setup? The drive belt was very simple to install. 

Thanks for the help, total noob with this new toy!

Most likely the stylus tracking force is grossly misadjusted. Instructions on setting the tracking force should be included with the turntable. Correct this issue before continuing to use the turntable because the stylus can easily be damaged.