Answered

S2 : Finding out if the current setup i have (some old, some new) speakers support S2, and ramifications

• 13 January 2023
  • 1 reply

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere.

i’m a long time customer of Sonos, my enthusiasm tempered after the botched effort a few years back whereby the forced upgrade resulted in landfill-bound bricked speaker. Even though they reversed that, i was still left w/ a useless Play speaker that could no longer be used-i have to believe many of us lost faith after that -i still purchased and gifted new things like moves,etc. My current setup is a mix of possibly old and new (i’ve lost track what supports what) and i still experience that frustrating lag of sound pushing out to all speakers that feels like water from a hose that you’ve turned on and now wait for it to come out the other end:).

ok after that pre mumble, here’s my question:

How do i know that i am running the 12 or so speakers i have around the house on the latest, most performant software? What speakers don’t support S2  and if the don’t sould remove them? re group them? i totallly understand the need for hardware upgrades (we have to do this w/ PC’s) but looking for clear steps to setup a  mixed system for best results. 

Thank you for a response or referenced where this has been explained. also thanks for letting this old fan of sonos vent for what was clearly a painful episode in their history:).

icon

Best answer by Mr. T 13 January 2023, 21:15

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7

Looking at your profile, only the Play:5 (Gen1) is definitely only S1 compatible.

For the Connect and Connect:amp, if they are both (Gen1) then they are also restricted to S1.

All your other devices are S2 compatible. See https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/article/sonos-s2-compatibility

An easier way to check is by logging into your Sonos account online and checking under https://www.sonos.com/myaccount/system/households/devices/

Those devices that are S1 only should be clearly highlighted.