Question

S2 dissapointment

• 22 October 2020
  • 5 replies

I recently was given bad advice by the Sonos sales team that i could buy the Sonos beam surround set and not have to upgrade to S2.   Unfortunately when it arrived, upon connecting the bass speaker i was told i would need to upgrade.   

I went through the process of upgrading as i thought i could run S1 and S2 in parallel, (although i was trying to avoid this).   I had both systems up and running although through different apps it worked.   I could handle that for the time being as i intended to upgrade again in the future to move entirely to S2.  However, now when ever i go into my S1 app.   I get the switch to S2 splash page and i have to reconnect my S1 system.  This has essentially rendered it useless as its a painful process each time i want to use.  I now use a Bose bluetooth speaker in my dining room instead.   

Does anyone else have this problem?   Im reluctant to go through support again as they will just show me how to reconnect, when what i really need is a permanent solution to the problem.

As a side note i’m struggling with the surround set,  doesn’t really seem to compare to a purpose built surround system.  Ive spent ages trying different configurations and volumes however on most films i cant hear the talking,  It seems the system massively lacks midrange.  The sound really isn’t that great overall for tv/film but is good for music although not as good as the previous wired system i had through a connect with a £400 speaker set.   So it seems i’ve paid a lot of money and essentially downgraded the quality of the sounds plus destroyed the user experience.

I really didn't imagine that i would have to send this back before the end of the 100 day trial but unless there is any improvement in both the app and the sound quality then i will have to.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @jonnio12, welcome to the Sonos Community! I understanding where you are coming from and I’m here to help. The Sonos Beam can be used in the S1 app without upgrading to S2 if you prefer to stay with the S1 app. The only Sonos products that currently require S2 are products released in 2020: the Arc, Five, and Sub (gen 3). Please submit a diagnostic report of your system to further check and get a better idea of your setup to help you proceed with whichever works for you. Just reply to us with the confirmation number. We and the community are always here to help.

Hi.   i do have the surround beam set with a sub.

Running S1 and S2 in parallel is a problem.   I'm not really up for another round of diagnostic, connecting isnt my issue,   staying connected  is.   i need to be able to turn the s1 system and play music with having to reconnect each time

There is clearly a problem running the 2 systems in parallel which I'm sure you could reproduce and debug.  

I think you need to sort out your local setup. I have been running S1 and S2 systems wirh no problems since S2 was launched.

@jonnio12 I suggest you power off the S2 system entirely, reset the S1 controller and re-associate it with the S1 system. Hopefully it will then ignore the S2 system when that’s powered back up.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@jonnio12 You say you bought the “Sonos beam surround set”. Would a Sub Gen 3 be part of this set? Because then I would understand the need to upgrade the system to S2 - the Sub Gen 3 needs it. Replacing the Sub Gen 3 with a (used? Refurb?) Gen 2 would allow you to stay on S1.

As to your second comment on the quality of the sound from the Beam, this is very personal. I like really my Beam (plus One’s ans Sub). Sound wise I may have lost something compared with my old Marantz separates, but I have gained a lot on the connectivity options.