Answered

S1 Controller "Existing system not found" Feb 28,2021 Fails on all platforms: Win 10, Android, IOS

• 28 February 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
  • Contributor II
  • 10 replies

Just now, 4:30PM eastern, 2021-02-28 all of my S1 controllers fail to find my Sonos systems.

All a re at S1.  No S2.  I have Connect devices that must stay at S1, so my entire system is at S1.

I have tried resetting individual systems - to no effect.

Less than a week ago, I was given the option of “staying with” the S1 system.  Up until then, I got regular nag notices that I needed to upgrade to S2.  I do not want to do that.  I’m not sure if this is related, but it is a change within the last week.

I have tried the S1 controller on Windows 10, iOS, and Android systems - all fail with the same message “Existing system not found.”

Anyone else?

Any ideas?

icon

Best answer by TnL 28 February 2021, 23:48

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Problem solved.

I reset (power-cycled) a bridge that is hardwired to my router & all systems came back.

That was weird.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

By reset, I mean power-cycle - no effect.

I did do a reset on an Android S1 controller - no effect.

I have the S2 controller installed on a Win 10 laptop - it shows the system not found message too.

I have not updated any of the Sonos software or controllers on any systems.

I have tried the S1 controller on all  my local WiFi networks (I have 4)  - no difference on any.

The BRIDGE is an old device, and known by many users on this forum to have a dodgy power supply at this age. Which makes tracking down issues a bit challenging. I’d encourage you to either replace your BRIDGE with the newer and more robust BOOST, or wire your ethernet cable directly to a speaker. Or, honestly, you could just have your speakers on your own WiFi signal, as discussed in the wired and wireless modes FAQ.

Badge

I keep getting asked to update to S2 but I cannot afford to at present and anyway the sound quality of my S1 speakers is marvellous. I do not understand a lot of the tech speak but I do know that the last time I was asked to upgrade to S2 I couldn’t do anything until I accepted hoping it would still work my S1 speakers. Nothing works now!

Just to answer your question, my S1 system is working okay, so it maybe something you have done.

When you mention ..."I have tried resetting individual systems - to no effect”. Do you mean that you factory reset some/all of your devices?

Have you installed the S2 App at any point on any of your controller devices?

Have you tried wiring a non-reset Sonos device to your main router preferably a device that is S1(system) compatible only ..to see if that device shows in your S1 App when you attempt to connect to the existing system? (Please do not create a "new system" by the way, as you will risk losing all your settings/original setup).