Answered

remote for my tv is turning off my sonos amps.

• 10 December 2023
  • 7 replies

I have 2 Sonos amps that are attached to indoor and outdoor speakers only, not my tv, just passive speakers.  My problem is when I turn off my tv with either the tv or cable box remotes it also turns off my amps.  So I cannot turn off the tv to listen to music!  How can I stop the amps from turning off when I turn off my tv?  

I have tried to reprogram my Comcast remote, but it didn’t work.  My Samsung remote also turns off the amps.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 11 December 2023, 02:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Maybe disable the infrared Rx on the two Amps in their ‘room’ settings and see if that solves the issue, I assume that you are not using the feature anyway. See attached.

Thanks for the suggestion Ken, I already disabled it though.  

Userlevel 7

Are the Amps, TV and cable box (or some combination of the three) plugged into the same power strip?

I will check….would that make a difference?

Userlevel 7

It would make a difference if the power strip is a “smart” power strip wherein the TV is plugged into the main receptacle that sends a command/signal to activate and/or deactivate the other receptacles. 

I just plugged them in on their own, Thank you AjTrek1!!!  That seems to have fixed it!  I never would have thought of that!!  incredible. 

Userlevel 7

@jjdevries 

It would make a difference if the power strip is a “smart” power strip wherein the TV is plugged into the main receptacle that sends a command/signal to activate and/or deactivate the other receptacles. 

To clarify (assuming it was the power strip) smart power strips are usually used when there is a power Amp involved with other components connected to it such as a pre-amp and sub woofer. When the power amp is turned on the other components power up in sequence and when the power amp is turned off the other components power down in sequence. Doing so prevents unwanted power surges to components at start-up and avoids the “ audible thump” (to a degree) when they are powered down. It also eliminates having to power-on and/or power-down each component manually.