Skip to main content

I am looking at the Pro-Ject Debut III SB turntable and connecting it to a pair of Play:5 gen 2 speakers via line-in.  Is this possible and will the stereo channels from the turntable be maintained?

Can the two speakers create a stereo pair with a line-in input?  And if so, would this be done by sending two separate (left vs right channel) mono cables, one to each speaker from the turnable preamp?  Or by sending a single line-in cable that combines the L/R outputs from the turntable, which then gets “reconverted” into left and right channels for the stereo paired speakers?

I would rather not spend the extra money on a port or connect since this would be the only use for me.

Thanks for considering this!

Yes, and it only requires connecting to the Line-in on one of the Play:5s.  The other line-in can be used for another source, if you wish.  You will need a stereo RCA to 3.5mm stereo cable.

As @jgatie says, you only need to connect to one of the Play:5s and your music will play as stereo, as if the turntable was connected to a regular wired system. I have an older Pro-ject turntable connected (via a pre-amp) to one Five which is part of a stereo pair. I get the full stereo sound. My other Five is connected to a CD player which also plays stereo through both speakers. I just have to pick which Line in I want to use (the autoplay with the turntable doesn’t really work so I manually select which device I want to play from).

Thanks so much!  Both answers are very helpful.  SarahN, your situation echoes mine, I also have CD’s that I would like to play.  The two line-in solution makes a ton of sense!