Skip to main content

I bought a Port to play music from a Pro-Ject turntable to a couple of Sono One and a Subwoofer. The sound playing is so low you can barely hear it. 
what’s weird is there’s sound but it barely audible. Any suggestions? 

tried switching cables. Resetting. And even did a couple of chants. Nothing seems to help. 

Check to see if your turntable has a built in pre-amp.

If it does, switch it from Phono to Line. If it doesn’t, purchase one, and connect the turntable to it, and then connect the pre-amp to the Sonos Port. 

Thank you. Could it be I bought the wrong Sonos product?

No.  If the problem is lack of a pre-amp, then the problem isn’t with Sonos at all.  You need to establish whether your turntable has a pre-amp.  If it does, is it turned on?  If it doesn’t then you will need to buy an external pre-amp.  This should be easily determined from the turntable manual. 

You could also check the ‘line in level’ setting on the Port.

No.  For various physical reasons, LP’s are mastered with something called RIAA Equlization.  Played in its raw state, the signal is very low, the low frequencies are emphasized, and the high frequencies deemphasized.  On playback the opposite occurs, the signal is increased, the lows are lowered, and the highs are raised.  This conversion takes place either in a phono input (which Sonos does not have), or a phono pre-amp.  The pre-amp can be built-in to the turntable, or can be external.  If your turntable has one built-in, you want to switch it to “Line” output, not “Phono”.