• 2 replies

My Equipment: 

Sonos Beam
Sonos Port
Turntable (w/ amp)
Yamaha Receiver
w/ Bose bookshelf speakers (pair)

My Setup:

I have my TV connected to a Sonos Beam on one side of the room, and on the opposite side of the room, behind the couch/TV against the wall, I have a turntable connected to a receiver with two bookshelf speakers.  I use that setup to listen to my vinyl records and I use my Beam to watch TV and stream music digitally.

My Goal: 

I bought the Sonos Port with the understanding that it would allow me to do both by combining the two on the Sonos network. Ideally, I’d like to connect the Port to the receiver/turntable so that I can listen to vinyl AND digital audio through the receiver’s bookshelf speakers AND Beam. Given that, I was under the impression that I would then be able to apply the same concept to TV audio, where the bookshelf speakers act like two surround sound speakers…. Is that not the case??? If so, what setup would I need to achieve this? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7

With your setup, you won’t be able to do exactly what you want.

Assuming the Bose speakers are passive speakers, if you want to use the speakers as surrounds with the Beam, you need to get a Sonos Amp to power them. You will then be able to add the Bose speakers as surrounds. You cannot do this with the Port.

Connect the turntable to the line-in on the Port to play the turntable audio to the Beam and bookshelf speakers. NOTE: The audio will play out of both the Beam and surrounds together. It cannot be played out of one or the other without removing the Bose as surrounds first.

The Yamaha receiver will not be used with this setup.

Also note that, when used as a surround amplifier, AMP’s Line-In and SUB out are disabled.

And, some BOSE speakers assume that a specific equalizer is in use. This will not be available if they are being driven by AMP.