Answered

Playbar not recognizing TV remote for volume

• 10 April 2020
  • 4 replies

Playbar stopped recognizing TV (Samsung Q7 QLED) remote volume signals. Was working fine for months. I tried reconfiguring TV remote in sonos app. The playbar sensor does not recognize the signal from the volume button BUT recognizes the signal when I push the power button ( I know it’s picking up the signal because of the ir light). It won’t recognize any other button besides the power button. ALSO I CAN configure a different remote without a problem (which makes me think it might be an issue with the remote and not the playbar ir sensor). I just find it so strange that the playbar can pick up the signal from the power button, but none of the other ~10 (especially considering how long it was working flawlessly)

Side note: I already changed the batteries on the remote. And my TV itself still recognizes all the remote buttons as normal.

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 14 April 2020, 16:53

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Hello @LPFlacko, and welcome to the Community. You have my sincerest apologies for the delay in our response time. I understand that you are unable to get your Playbar to respond to your remotes commands. Have you attempted to reprogram your remote yet? 

If not, you can do so by following our article on programming a TV remote to work with Sonos.

Is there anything in front of the IR sensor? 

We would like to have you submit a diagnostic of your system and reply back with the confirmation number. This will allow us to see how your system is functioning, and help provide a resolution.

Badge

@LPFlacko did you resolve your problem with the Playbar not recognizing the TV remote for volume?  I’ve been having the same problem for over a week, and spent hours on the phone multiple days with the support team, and don’t have a solution.  I was told it could me my remote, but it was not.  I paid $62.30 plus $11 for  2nd day shipping for a genuine Samsung replacement from SamsungParts.com.  I was also told to remove the Playbar, so I did.  Was unable to add it back while the app was telling me my product was already registered.  I spent several hours trying on my own unsuccessfully.  I finally had to call again and ended up having to take the Soundbar and place in downstairs and plug it into my router.  Even then I still had problems when the app told me I was too far from the router, but was probably 2 feet away.  That day I spend 11 hours on the phone.  Everyone I called has a different solution, but none worked.  I’m hoping a firmware update will solve the problem.

I am having this same problem. If only Sonos would take lessons from Bose and provide a product that just works. I have wasted hours of my life on this issue. I’ve followed all of the various instructions from Sonos but none of them work (they aren’t written very well, honestly). I’m ready to pitch this thing in the street and buy something else. I’ve even taken time to write to the Sonos CEO, but of course, never received any response. At my wits end. 

Badge

What I did to solves the problem, but wish either Samsung or Sonus gets their act together.  Select “Panasonic” via the Universal Remote setup on your Samsung Smart TV.  Samsung blames Sonos, and Sonos blames Samsung.  Don’t forget to run the Remote Control Setup on the app.

What I dislike is all product protection Sonos builds into their system.  If you decide to move your speakers to another room, or charge your setup (I wanted to move the soundbar to another room and purchase another set of speakers for my main room to use with their sub, you have to either remove it, or transfer system ownership before you can use it in a different location (at least that is what Sonos said during one of my many calls to them).  I just what to be able to plug-and-play.  If you remove it, then you have to use a plug in an Ethernet cable to re-activate it (according to one of my calls to Sonos).  Good luck getting support from someone who’s primary language is English.