playbar drops sounds from LG TV

• 1 December 2020
  • 6 replies

Ever since I purchased my sonos playbar 3 years ago, the sound drops from the LG TV. It used to only happen once every couple of weeks, either watching TV, PlayStation or netflix through the WebOS. Now it seems to be happening 3 or 4 times a day. 

It is connected via optical cable. This cable has been replaced but it still happens. Are we able to update the firmware or something on my playbar? Or run some sort of diagnostic?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi there @Cpazza69, Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community. Sorry to hear about this issue on your Sonos system, so we can check the current status of your whole system, I’ll ask you to submit a diagnostic report for us to investigate further what could be causing this issue. You may reply to the thread with the confirmation number to assist you with this issue. 

Let us know how it goes and we're here to answer any further questions you have.

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the reply! Here is my diagnostic report number: 813798303

Thanks 

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @Cpazza69, thanks for the update and for sending a diagnostic report. Upon checking, it doesn’t show any issues with your Sonos Playbar, it also shows that the Wifi is disabled on the Playbar. You can try to enable it from the Playbar settings on the Sonos App and observe for any difference in dropouts. Also, is it happening on all content, TV, and music? or just on specific content?

Let us know how it goes and we're here to answer any further questions you have.

Hi Simon,

yes I have a Lan connection, no need for wifi. It drops only on content from the TV over the SPDIF connection. Music seems to play fine. Maybe it is an issue with my TV…. I suppose only a new TV reveal this… 

however if I replace my TV and still have the same problem, What are my options? If no issues are flagged in the diagnostic report, I have a new SPDIF cable, New TV, surely the issue will be with the playbar? Would I be able to replace this playbar with another?

@Cpazza69 .  What sources do you play from?  Do you have a cable / satellite box with a digital optical out?  If so you could experimentally run the optical direct from that to the Playbar.  If the dropouts stop, the problem is with the TV.  If they don’t, it isn’t. 

Hi John, I will give that a try!