Skip to main content

Have a question that so far Sonos support hasn’t been able to help me with.  We have six rooms in the house with in-ceiling third party speakers powered by their own Sonos Amp (so six Sonos Amps). In addition we have two rooms with 5.1 surround sound driven by their respective Pioneer Elite VSX-LX105 Receivers (works with Sonos compatible) connected to Sonos Ports.

If I want to use any of the Sonos Amps as a source for the rest of the house via grouping I have no problem having that music/sound playing through the two rooms with the Sonos Ports.

HOWEVER, I want to be able to use either of the Pioneer Receivers (via the Sonos Ports) as a source to play through the Sonos Amps as well.  So for example, if I was watching a game on one of the TVs connected to the Pioneer Receiver/Port and I wanted to also play that same game through the rest of the house via grouping.  I haven’t been able to find a lot of specific documentation on the topic, but from what I have been able to find online this does seem like it should be possible, just haven’t been able to get it to work.

I’m assuming that I need to have the Sonos Port connected to the Pioneer Receiver using BOTH the inputs and outputs to get this setup to work, which I’ve done.  What else am I missing?  Is there any specific documentation that would walk through how the system should work in the specific case I’m asking about?

Thanks!

I’m not familiar with your Pioneer, but many receivers will not convert a digital audio source, such as an HDMI connection, to analog. PORT only accepts analog. This will take some fussing, but you may be able to connect both a digital and analog TV signal to the Pioneer. Then you will be able to connect PORT as if it is a cassette deck.

If the TV’s will simultaneously output over an HDMI-ARC connection to the receiver and an optical port, you could use an optical to analog audio converter as the input to PORT or a receiver analog input. With some fussing, you may be able to pair the analog feed with a digital input such that whatever source you select on the Pioneer, both analog and digital outputs will follow. Again this will take some fussing -- if supported by the receiver.

Note that there will be a slight time skew between input to PORT and output from the AMP’s. If the TV and AMP’s cover distant rooms, this is not an issue. It will likely be an issue with AMP driven speakers and Pioneer driven speakers covering the same room. If necessary you may be able to somewhat mitigate the skew with voice sync adjustments. Listener sensitivity to the skew and voice sync varies. One person might be claiming illness while another is asking “what’s the problem?”.

Thanks.  Are there specific receivers that work well with the Port and can do the conversion?

I don’t have any specific model in mind. It’s usually a feature of the higher end models with multiple zones.

Any chance of snagging a TV audio signal from a pre-out?

ZONE 2 Pre/Line Out/ZONE B Line Out