Skip to main content

Hi 

I have a fairly old Sonos set up and products consisting of a bridge, a beam gen 1, a play 1 and a play 3. Everything works perfectly fine at present but we are doing some work in the house and I am considering installing ceiling speakers in the kitchen. I have been looking at the Sonance speakers plus Sonos Amp for this. My understanding is that with the new Amp my bridge becomes redundant but that my play 1 and 3 won’t connect to it so potentially I need to update those. What about the beam ? Can’t it, does it have to connect to the Amp to make it work and is that possible. All products are well independent and have different purposes if that makes any difference with the beam used for tv sound, play 3 for living room and play 1 for kitchen (to be replaced by ceiling speakers). Any help advice would be most welcome as I am a bit lost.

You can, and should, retire the BRIDGE at this point. Not only is it S1 capable only, but is commonly known to have a dodgy power supply that can cause difficult to diagnose network issues. You can, however, wire Ethernet directly to any of your regular speakers, and it will act as a BRIDGE. Or go wireless, and hang your system off of your Wi-Fi. 

You can then update all your current speakers to S2, no need to replace them. After that, you can add a Sonos Amp to your system at will. 

You could also change the Bridge for a Boost (the Bridge is the Boost’s predecessor), but Sonos is ending the sale the Boost. The Boost is S2 capable.

Thanks both, most useful. I will retire the bridge, connect the beam to the Ethernet as it is closest to the router. I will the use the beam as a Bridge and update all the speakers to S2. I will then get the amp and the ceiling speakers. At that stage, is it best to connect all the speakers back to the amp or just the new ceiling ones ?

Heh, I was nodding along until I got to your last statement. What are ‘all the speakers’? If you mean the Sonos S2 devices, they will stay as their own ‘rooms’ and you can choose to group them or not, as you desire, with the ‘room’ that is the Sonos Amp and the ceiling speakers. 

Essentially, the Amp (and the ceiling speakers powered by it) just becomes part of your Sonos home system, and you’d treat it the same way you do with all other ‘rooms’. 

Yes, I meant the S2 devices. I think I got it. Thanks again for the advice.