Answered

Okay fine, my network is the problem - now what?

• 22 October 2022
  • 3 replies

Okay fine, Sonos devices only work on ONE very specific type of network that exists primarily in North America and in the Sonos test lab.  Okay I accept that.  I’m not using exactly that type of network configuration, so even though EVERYTHING works on my network except Sonos devices, I accept that my network is the problem.

Surely, then, Sonos has a detailed technical spec sheet somewhere explaining to me EXACTLY how to configure my wireless network such that it will work with Sonos devices.  Someone please point that to me.  Oh and by the way, all my Sonos devices used to work until recent FORCED updates broke them, but okay it’s my network’s fault.

I want an RFC white paper detailing exactly what type of network Sonos products are compatible with.  Not only the standards but also the configurations.  Channels, frequencies, SSID names, password length and complexity, number of mesh routers, power line network extenders, everything.  Point me to these detailed white papers so I can begin my week long study to reverse engineer Sonos products and determine how to make them work on my wireless home network on which literally every other device works.

icon

Best answer by controlav 24 October 2022, 19:47

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Best bet is to wire ONE speaker to your router and put them into SonoNet mode I would have thought if you are having that much bother.

Sonos works on most networks, but its original design involved using a dedicated Sonos mesh that takes all traffic between Sonos devices off the WiFi network.  As mentioned by @Keithmac, this requires ONE Sonos device to be wired to the router or to a primary mesh node.  The wired connection is needed so that the SonosNet mesh can talk to WiFi.  Yes this is more than is needed to get a smart TV or phone to work on your network, but they don’t involve constant communication between multiple devices.

Using SonosNet is not a cure-all, but it is a cure-lots-of-things.  You should experiment with it, IMO.

There are plenty of people willing to help on here if you are willing to engage.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

All that ranting and you fail to prove the one key piece of information: what crappy router you are using.

A list of known crappy routers, some with work-arounds, can be found here:

Incompatible network hardware | Sonos