Skip to main content

I have my Denon turntable connected to my Marantz SR5015 amp, and just connected my Sonos 5 via AC ports labeled CBL/SAT (per instructions any AC in ports should work) on back of Marantz. Have Phono chosen on input selector on the amp. The Sonos app sees and can play this line in set up, but no sound is coming out. I’ve double checked connections, and the Sonos five definitely does work with other music in. 

The Sonos line in should be connected to line level out jacks on your receiver, not line level inputs. CBL/SAT would be inputs, I’d think, not outputs. You’d want to change those. 

If you posted a picture, or a link to the manual, it would be easier to give you more accurate data. 

Looking at that particular receiver’s rear panel on Amazon, I think the only place to connect it would be the zone 2 outputs. That receiver has a ton of inputs, not a lot of non-HDMI outputs. 

Modern receivers no longer support a tape recorder output. You may need to use a Zone2 analog output fed to the SONOS Line-In. This Zone2 output may have a Volume control and you’ll need to work out cooperation between the Zone2 Volume control and the SONOS Volume controls.

And, Zone2 input will need to be set to Phono.

Huh? Oh, that means the output of the Denon to Zone 2 is the Phono input?

Interesting. I’ve always avoided zone 2 outputs, not only for that reason, but the fact that (at least in the past) they didn’t handle digital inputs (like optical or HDMI). Always seemed like a cheap out, as it were, to me. 

Update- I am getting sound but it is extremely low compared to other sources. I found in another thread, a suggestion that there would be a line in switch on the turntable. I only found an on/off switch which was set to OFF. I switched it to ON, and the volume was louder but the sound quality was terribly distorted.

If you have the phono connected to the Phono input on the Marantz, you’d want to leave that setting to ‘off’, there is already a pre-amp in the Marantz (hence the phono in) and you’re likely blowing the input out. 

You may need to adjust the line in settings on the Sonos Five, though. See the discussion at the turntable thread.

Huh? Oh, that means the output of the Denon to Zone 2 is the Phono input?

Interesting. I’ve always avoided zone 2 outputs, not only for that reason, but the fact that (at least in the past) they didn’t handle digital inputs (like optical or HDMI). Always seemed like a cheap out, as it were, to me. 

Zone2 tries to be separate room, with its own input selector, tone, and Volume controls. Accessing these controls can be a pain. And, as you’ve stated, there is not always a DAC available. Some Zone2’s have a power amplifier available, some are strictly line level analog out. A few will have a “party mode” where Zone2 input follows Zone1.

If you have the phono connected to the Phono input on the Marantz, you’d want to leave that setting to ‘off’, there is already a pre-amp in the Marantz (hence the phono in) and you’re likely blowing the input out. 

You may need to adjust the line in settings on the Sonos Five, though. See the discussion at the turntable thread.

I have already adjusted settings on the FIVE per other discussions. Source leve is set to 10, delay is set to MAX. I just posted a photo to show the “ins” I’m using. Note that directly to the right are the ins for FRONT and I had the same result there.

I meant to say that they are inputs on the amp, but they are actually in a section called PRE OUT

Modern receivers no longer support a tape recorder output. You may need to use a Zone2 analog output fed to the SONOS Line-In. This Zone2 output may have a Volume control and you’ll need to work out cooperation between the Zone2 Volume control and the SONOS Volume controls.

I am using zone 2 as per photo, volume control on amp does not affect the volume on the FIVE, only the app does and it’s still incredibly quiet.

Are you using the Zone2 Volume Control?

Are you using the Zine2 Volume Control?

I just tried selecting zone 2 on the remote and cranked volume up to max on the amp which did increase the volume to at least a “listenable” level, but it’s still incredibly more quiet than other sources. When streaming for instance, if I have the songs near somewhere at volume level 50 it’s plenty loud. I have the amp zone 2 at max and the Sonos volume up in the 90’s and it’s just listenable now, as if I had the Sonos volume near 40/45 listening to another source.

Some receivers have a source level control for each input. This is yet another adjustment that could contribute to the “volume control war”.

Update- I am getting sound but it is extremely low compared to other sources. I found in another thread, a suggestion that there would be a line in switch on the turntable. I only found an on/off switch which was set to OFF. I switched it to ON, and the volume was louder but the sound quality was terribly distorted.

Another connection approach is to connect the turntable to another analog input and then turn the turntable’s preamp ON. Phono is different from the other receiver inputs, requiring the turntable’s preamp to be OFF.

Check pages 147 & 148 in the manual.

Some receivers have a source level control for each input. This is yet another adjustment that could contribute to the “volume control war”.

Ok - found the source level control and maxed that. This step has made the biggest difference. 

Check pages 147 & 148 in the manual.

Thanks for the help. I’ve increased (maxed) the source level input for phone, I’ve increased the zone 2 volume and it seems we’re in business. I do still think that the phono to amp source is still a bit quieter than other sources so I may try your other suggestion re: another connection approach. THANKS AGAIN