Answered

New Sonos System to Co-Exist with pre S1 system

• 18 January 2024
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I have a Sonos system that I have locked down at version 8.4 because I have several CR100 controllers that were built into the fabric of my home when Sonos was in its infancy and I wanted whole house music from my own music library (a state that continues to this day) and everything still works as intended.

I have a few old units that unfortunately were off line when the system was fixed at 8.4 and are hence at slightly different software versions (prior to 8.4) and although they were all working fine with other controller software (which does not care what version the devices are at) one unit has been  factory reset and can no longer be added into the existing system.

I am thinking of setting up a new S1 system for those items (and only those items - a ZP120 and 2x ZP80) but am reluctant to try just in case it messes up the current working system (in particular, bricking my CR100s). Is it possible to run a new S1 system alongside the existing system without the old system getting updated/upgraded.

I can use one of my other emails to register a new system and use a separate PC (on the same network) with Sonos S1 controller software, but do not want to try if it cannot operate within its own ‘separate’ eco system.

Just wondered if anyone has done this successfully. When the original debacle took place, it was alleged you could not have 2 code threads, but that seems to have been disproved by the S1/S2 split now in operation.

Any help would be appreciated. I was looking to alternative vendors equipment that would do the same job as there are a lot more players in the market now than there when I first invested heavily in Sonos, but If I can resurrect my Sonos devices without killing any of the existing system, that would be a result.

icon

Best answer by controlav 18 January 2024, 16:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

If you add a new S1 system it will be on 11.2, which will break your CR100. Anything you do to your existing S1 system will also break your CR100.

The time to fix those pre-8.4 devices was many, many years ago. December 2012 by my records.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Would removing them (if present) from the old system, then turning off all the Sonos you want to leave on the old system to keep them safe, while factory resetting all the ones you want to move to the newer S1 and creating a new system do the trick?

Maybe like this: https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/set-up-separate-s1-and-s2-sonos-systems

I truly regret not locking my old Play 5s down so the spouse could have kept her CR-100s.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Would removing them (if present) from the old system, then turning off all the Sonos you want to leave on the old system to keep them safe, while factory resetting all the ones you want to move to the newer S1 and creating a new system do the trick?

Maybe like this: https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/set-up-separate-s1-and-s2-sonos-systems

I truly regret not locking my old Play 5s down so the spouse could have kept her CR-100s.

Thank you for this. I had debated disconnecting all my 8.4 devices and then setting up a ‘new’ S1 Sonos system at 11.2 and bring those old ones up to 11.2, then freeze those at 11.2 and then block all Sonos updates again. The controller software I have does not care what version the devices are at, so could play via 11.2 or 8.4 devices regardless and the CR100s would only be hooked up to the 8.4 system.

I am, however, reluctant to try it out for fear of the damage the Sonos software could do (brick my CR100s). I think in the interests of preserving a sound (pardon the pun) system configuration that has been working for years, I’ll not try it. Instead, I’ll set up a new solution for the house extension using competitor products. At least I know they won’t break my existing system and having to use 2 controller apps is no worse than the Sonos S1/S2 solution.