Question

new sky q router - cant find speakers

• 7 November 2020
  • 3 replies

Hi, 

ive just had my router “upgraded” by sky to the Sky Q router. I can’t manage to get the network to find any of my speakers. I’ve tried connecting via wps and also via wired Ethernet connection. The app can’t locate of any them.

reading about this issue it seems a common problem. I’ve tried to stop synchronising 2.5hz and 5hz by logging into the admin page on 192.168.0.1 but this hasn’t worked.

Any ideas?! My 3 kids fall asleep listening to music every night so this is beyond frustrating!! 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Invest01.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us and fort doing the extra effort on starting with the basic troubleshooting steps in trying to link your Sonos to the new router. I understand your situation about connecting the Sonos to a new router. Let me help you out with that.

I would like to recommend by providing some situations and the corresponding steps on what to do accordingly.

• ​If you only have one Sonos device. (considering that the Sonso device is plugged into power and has a solid white light)

1. Open the Sonos app.

2. You will be prompted at the top of the Sonos app “can’t connect to Sonos, Fix it” prompt.

3. Tap on that prompt and then select Update wireless settings.

4. And then follow the prompts.

• If you have more than one Sonos device.

1. Unplug all Sonos devices from power and while all the Sonos devices are unplugged from power, temporarily connect one Sonos device to the new router via ethernet cable. (ethernet cable first before connecting to power)

2. Once the Sonos device (connected to the router via ethernet cable) has a solid white light, plug into power the rest of the Sonos device (not connected to the router).

3. After all Sonos devices are connected to power and have a solid white light, open the Sonos app go to settings » system » network » wireless set up. And then follow the prompts.

4. The prompt would also provide you the details on when to unplug the ethernet cable from the Sonos device connected to the router. (a wired connection is just temporary) or it can be permanent depending on your decision.

I hope this helps.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Hi Paul, this hasn’t worked. I’ve tried everything. The lights are all white but when I go to my Sonos app I have the choice of connect to existing or set up new connection. Neither work and both return product not found. I have one of the speakers connected via an Ethernet cable into the router. 
I have sky Q and from googling about how to fix this mess I think that the two networks are clashing. I spent 30 mins on the phone to Sonos support on Friday and have spent several hours trying various things as suggested on forums. Nothing works. Why is this so difficult? Beyond frustrating.

please help

ELLIOT 

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Invest01.

Thanks for the update and immediate response.

I would suggest reaching out to the manufacturer of the mesh system so that the mesh system can be configured in bridge mode or access point mode or which option best fits your preference. Here are some guides to better understand and know what and how to fix this issue.

• Have each access point have their own unique Wifi name so you and your mobile controller do not get confused about what and where to connect to access your Sonos system.
  • Disable Wifi Capabilities of the Main router that provides connection directly to your ISP or internet provider.
  • Disable the DHCP or IP-address generation of the Access point and only allow the main router to generate the IP-addresses to avoid IP-address mismatch or IP-address duplicates.
  • Wire a Sonos device to one of the routers/access points to get them to stay on a single network (having each access point have their own unique WiFi names).

Let me share with you a topic in this community that discusses multiple routers or mesh system. You can share and ask questions or comments on that topic if something is not clear. 

I hope this helps.

Please let me know if you have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,