Question

New router - massive headache

• 3 November 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2

Hi Everyone,

My sonos system consists of two rooms - 2 play 3’s in one room and a playbar and sub in another room.

Everything was working fine until I moved to a mesh setup - Asus RT-AX92U (two of them).

I've disabled “airtime fairness” and I’m not using smart connect.  I have three different SSIDs and I am trying to use the 2.4 GHz one.

I’ve factory reset all speakers and reset my Sonos App on my android.

When I try to register one of the speakers it always fails as if it can’t connect to Sonos.  

I noticed when logging into sonos.com and looking at “System”, I still see my old system.  Is that causing issues?

Any other known issues with these routers?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Sonos doesn’t always play nice with mesh networks. Trying wiring one of your speakers to the ‘root’ device of your network, and give it a couple of minutes to settle on the fact that it is in SonosNet (wired) mode. Then test and see if everything is showing up and working. F it’s inconvenient to keep a speaker wired to that ‘root’ device, you should get a BOOST, and wire that instead, which would keep your speakers on the SonosNet mesh. 

By the way, once the system is on SonosNet, you should remove your network information from the Sonos controller, as detailed in the remove Wifi data FAQ. 

Userlevel 2

Good call on the boost.  I’m guessing that is going to be the simplest way to proceed.  Found one on eBay for $40.

Badge

I think the Boost is a good way to go. I recently set up a mesh network using Google Wi-Fi (not the Nest version) and have connected the secondary mesh unit to my Sonos One. It initially connected to just that device but a second rebooting of the router, mesh and then powering up Sonos got the second One and Sub linked in. I was fortunate that I could position the secondary mesh unit close to the One with no difficulty but if that hadn't been possible then the Boost was my next step.

From reading many posts on this subject I decided that the technical issues of trying to connect Sonos to a mesh network wirelessly was a step to far for me. 

Userlevel 2

The Boost appears to have done the trick.  Installed it today and set the entire system back up and things seem to be working fine.