New Build - Pre-wire and configuration suggestions

• 28 March 2023
  • 2 replies

1. We are building a new home and are looking for pre-wire and configuration advice. The great room will have a TV in the Media Alcove and we hope to have Surround sound in that room. We also hope to have music in the dining and kitchen areas. We will also have a TV and sound in the Den. 

I currently own Sonos and have had a it configured using an ARC, One (surrounds), and Sub in one zone, and a pair of Fives in the kitchen in a separate zone. This has worked nicely. 

For this house we envision the following use - 
    1. Great Room - Surround for TV and sometimes streaming music
    2. Kitchen and Dining - streaming music
    3. Den - Surround for TV and sometimes streaming music
    4. Outside under covered patio - streaming music

Great Room - ARC and two surrounds in ceiling with AMP OR 5 speakers in ceiling configured for 5:1 with no ARC. Understand that we need an AMP for in ceiling speakers.

Kitchen and Dining - 2 speakers each, or will one pair suffice for the space

For Den, we intend on using existing ARC and Ones for that space. Would you recommend doing in ceiling instead? Trying to use equipment we have (Gen2) and the den does not have to be a part of the Great room system.

We do not need lots of zones. Really the use is
    1. TV and surround on - everything else off
    2. Music streamed to Kitchen/Dining (Zone 1), Great room (Zone 2), Outside (Zone 3)

With that, how would you suggest pre-wiring, and how many amps will I need. Preference is to see no/few wires. Unsure at this point where the amps will be and working on where network terminates. Options for AMP(s) are Media Alcove, Coat close adjacent, or Pantry/Valet area.

We will have a professional low voltage installer, but am looking for configuration and devices recommendations before that meeting. 

Thank you for your help!   

2 replies

1. We are building a new home and are looking for pre-wire and configuration advice. The great room will have a TV in the Media Alcove and we hope to have Surround sound in that room. We also hope to have music in the dining and kitchen areas. We will also have a TV and sound in the Den. 

I currently own Sonos and have had a it configured using an ARC, One (surrounds), and Sub in one zone, and a pair of Fives in the kitchen in a separate zone. This has worked nicely. 

For this house we envision the following use - 
    1. Great Room - Surround for TV and sometimes streaming music
    2. Kitchen and Dining - streaming music
    3. Den - Surround for TV and sometimes streaming music
    4. Outside under covered patio - streaming music

Great Room - ARC and two surrounds in ceiling with AMP OR 5 speakers in ceiling configured for 5:1 with no ARC. Understand that we need an AMP for in ceiling speakers.

Will you be watching a lot of TV here, or is it mostly just casual watching here, with movie watching in the Den?  It’s not the best space for the Arc and atmos give the room size and shape.  Den is better.  Ceiling speakers are not good for surround sound as it’s supposed to be coming from behind you, not above. And front speakers are supposed to coming from TV, not the ceiling.  Also, Amp only has two audio channels.  When used as front TV speakers, the center channel is phantom.

As for I would do, I probably would get an Beam or Arc for TV and not worry about surround sound...just for TV.  For music, I would use those play:5s with a sub.  Or get an amp with 3 pair of Sonace ceiling speakers. 2 in great room, 1 in kitchen.

2. Kitchen and Dining - 2 speakers each, or will one pair suffice for the space

if you use play:5s in great room, then I would just use a Move or pair of roams in the kitchen.  The fives will cover it pretty good IMO.  If ceiling speakers your covered.

I like the idea of a separate amp + pair of ceiling speakers in the dining room.

1. For Den, we intend on using existing ARC and Ones for that space. Would you recommend doing in ceiling instead? Trying to use equipment we have (Gen2) and the den does not have to be a part of the Great room system.

It would be a separate room that you can group with your other rooms.  Do not recommend in ceiling.  I’d actually consider upgrading the surrounds to Era 300s if you have the budget.  Definitely add a sub.

1. We do not need lots of zones. Really the use is
    1. TV and surround on - everything else off
    2. Music streamed to Kitchen/Dining (Zone 1), Great room (Zone 2), Outside (Zone 3)

With that, how would you suggest pre-wiring, and how many amps will I need. Preference is to see no/few wires. Unsure at this point where the amps will be and working on where network terminates. Options for AMP(s) are Media Alcove, Coat close adjacent, or Pantry/Valet area.

I would have 1 for dinning room, 1 for outside and maybe one in great room/kitchen if you choose.  I like the line closet best for storing these, but they do need some ventilation.  Media cabinet is not bad.  Whatever makes the most sense to you.

Installer will probably ask you if you want volume control switches installed.  You can use the Sonos app and other ways to control volume, but some people like the switches (not me)

3. We will have a professional low voltage installer, but am looking for configuration and devices recommendations before that meeting. 

Thank you for your help!   

Thank you Danny, appreciate the help!