Skip to main content

I’m trying to set up some outdoor speakers for a new patio that we are building. Thinking about putting 4 Klipsch speakers AW- 650 ( which would go under patio ceiling ( size of patio is 40 X25  )  and another 2 outdoor speakers on the ground ( the rock looking ones AWR-650-SM) ) for the other part of the backyard. Can all this be connected to 1 sonos amp or I need 2 separate ones? also how many speakers can each amp support? 

I already have sonos for inside of the house and have been using the for years. We love it! 

Thanks. 

Here is the user guide for the Amp: https://www.sonos.com/en-us/guides/amp

You can connect 4 - 8 ohm speakers to the Amp in parallel (+ to + and - to -) on each speaker. All the speakers will play at the same volume, so if you wanted to lower the volume on a specific pair of speakers, you would either need a speaker selector with volume controls, or a second Amp.

You might also look at a Sonos Port feeding a multi-channel amplifier for that many speakers. The right amplifier would give you more control over the speaker levels but you could only play one stream, where with two Amps you could play two.

If you used the Sonos by Sonance outdoor speakers you could put all six on a single Amp.

Hi @mojism, I concur with @Stanley_4: look at a multi-channel amplifier driven by a Sonos Port. I’m a big fan of separating the ‘streamer’ which needs to be updated more frequently from the amplifier which pretty much never needs to be updated.

I came back to add you could use more than one Port too, giving multiple independent streams if the Amp you select supports multiple inputs.

Thanks so much for all the advice here.