Answered

Multiple accounts on S2 (can't login to personal; password "error").

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I made the mistake of trying to setup a separate Sonos account for work (as we were experimenting with setting up a Sonos system there). I gave a separate email address and created a separate password. On my S2 app (on my iPhone), I logged out of my personal account and logged-into the new work account. Everything seemed fine. That is, until I tried logging out of my work account, and back into my personal account. When I tried to login, the S2 app stated that I was using an incorrect password. I changed the password, but the same error message continued. I went onto my browser and logged into my Sonos account via the Web (with the new password), and everything seems fine (my entire home system is still showing up there, etc). But the S2 iPhone app simply won’t recognize my password (which is a big problem, obviously). The “tech support genius” at Sonos simply suggested deleting and re-installing the S2 app to my phone, which I’m obviously hesitant to do (because I really don’t want to lose all of the bloody work I’ve spent over the years developing my system). For what it’s worth, at the S2 sign-in screen, I’m asked to sign-in for the account associated with my work email (even though I’m logged out)— so it’s obviously caching that account as the default. (Although, when I try logging into my personal, I obviously put my personal email in the email field). Should I try deleting the Work account altogether, to see if that makes a difference/clears the cache? I really hate Sonos sometimes.

icon

Best answer by John B 9 November 2022, 17:56

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

The app contains no information of value.  Everything is stored on the speakers.  There is no risk in uninstalling the app and reinstalling it.  It is just a remote control for the system.

Much the same result can be obtained by resetting the app in App Preferences.

But please don’t start resetting speakers.

I I really hate Sonos sometimes.

A phrase involving ‘workman’ and ‘tools’ springs to mind.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Thanks John— but surely there are a number of preferences in the app that will be erased if it’s deleted? What about all of the Recently Played history and the Saved Albums? Surely that is saved in the S2 app itself. Or is it tied to the account somehow?

Nope.  Just for fun I just reset my app and then chose to connect to existing system.  Recently played, favourites, playlists… all intact.  Do you have more than one app?  They are all just showing you what is in your system.  That is why all the Sonos playlists will appear in every controller, for example.

Note: do not choose to ‘set up a new system’

The content is tied to the system, not the account. And you can have multiple systems under a single account.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

More than one app? No, just a single S2 app installed on my iPhone. (With what I thought were two separate accounts, one tied to my personal email and one tied to my work email). I’m hoping that what’s going on here is that, because I’m at work, the app is identifying the local Roam/WiFi network and forcing me into logging into the work account. (And thus, even though I’m entering the email associated with my personal account into the email field, it’s only going to acknowledge the password associated with the work account while I’m in proximity to the work stuff). I’m definitely in suspense in terms of getting home this evening to make sure that I can then log into my home account. Fingers crossed. (For what it’s worth, I did delete the work account, to see if I could force the S2 app to forget that account— but apparently it’s a multi-step/day process to delete an account).

A question.  What do you want to achieve here?  What is the desired end state?  Which Sonos products do you want to end up in which location?  Where are they now?

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I want everything to return to the way it was. I.e. to build a time machine and never attempt to create a second Sonos account (which was an experiment).   As to the reason that I thought it was a good idea to setup a second account, rather than tie the work setup to my personal account: I didn’t want to have to give my personal login credentials to my colleagues at work so that they could also control the system. And so it seemed to make sense to setup a second account for work. But the S2 app really doesn’t seem to play nice to switching between accounts.

More than one app? No, just a single S2 app installed on my iPhone. (With what I thought were two separate accounts, one tied to my personal email and one tied to my work email). I’m hoping that what’s going on here is that, because I’m at work, the app is identifying the local Roam/WiFi network and forcing me into logging into the work account. (And thus, even though I’m entering the email associated with my personal account into the email field, it’s only going to acknowledge the password associated with the work account while I’m in proximity to the work stuff). I’m definitely in suspense in terms of getting home this evening to make sure that I can then log into my home account. Fingers crossed. (For what it’s worth, I did delete the work account, to see if I could force the S2 app to forget that account— but apparently it’s a multi-step/day process to delete an account).

The app is just a remote control and stores next to nothing   It shows you the Sonos SYSTEM that it finds on the network to which it is connected.  At that point, it doesn’t know about any other system.  If you went round to the house of a friend who has a Sonos system, and he let you ;onto his network, your app would show his system and let you play music on it.  Using his Spotify account, not yours.

Accounts don’t really matter and it would be easier for you if you had both your systems under the same account.

I want everything to return to the way it was. I.e. to build a time machine and never attempt to create a second Sonos account (which was an experiment).   As to the reason that I thought it was a good idea to setup a second account, rather than tie the work setup to my personal account: I didn’t want to have to give my personal login credentials to my colleagues at work so that they could also control the system. And so it seemed to make sense to setup a second account for work. But the S2 app really doesn’t seem to play nice to switching between accounts.

BECAUSE IT ISN’T ABOUT ACCOUNTS

Sorry for shouting.

And you don’t need to give your colleagues any login details for them to USE the system.  Only do that if you are keen on them messing up your system settings.

Please stop blaming Sonos for problems created by your own lack of understanding.

Can I get the chronology clear here please?  You had a Sonos system at home, associated to a personal email address?  And there was no Sonos system at work?

So at work you also wanted a Sonos system.  So you set up a new Sonos account with work email and password.  Did the speakers for this system come from home?  Were they new speakers?

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Stop blaming Sonos? Last time I checked, Sonos is the company that designed the S2 app. Is that correct? When I was setting-up the new Roam at work, I was asked by S2 whether I wanted to associate this piece of technology with an existing account or to set-up a new account. My “lack of understanding” here was– what? The English language? Why on earth do people like you troll community message boards like this?

Troll?  I have been trying to explain to you how Sonos works in the hope that that would help - and clearly wasting my valuable time when I could have been doing something productive.

What lack of understanding?  Of everything.  The belief that the app contained your system information (even mocking the support guy who suggested you reinstall the app).  Thinking that you would need to give log in information to colleagues for them to use the system.  Confusing the roles of apps, systems and accounts.

Nothing of what I said seemed to get through - it was all just Sonos’ fault.  There is nothing wrong with not knowing something.  Not many people want to be a Sonos geek like me.  But some basic understanding helps.  If you had followed the Sonos tech guy’s advice then you may not even have needed to come on here.

Stop blaming Sonos? Last time I checked, Sonos is the company that designed the S2 app. Is that correct? When I was setting-up the new Roam at work, I was asked by S2 whether I wanted to associate this piece of technology with an existing account or to set-up a new account. My “lack of understanding” here was– what? The English language? Why on earth do people like you troll community message boards like this?

I think you will find that you were asked whether you wanted to join an existing  SYSTEM or set up a new SYSTEM.