Move battery discharges quickly when fully off (long press and chime).

• 22 December 2020
  • 3 replies

Purchased a Move less than 3 weeks ago and I'm very happy with the addition to my Sonos collection, but I am not happy with the Move’s discharge of its battery when in shutdown - down to 16% after less than 2 weeks in the fully off state. Also when in standby, it wakes up unnecessarily whenever the Sonos app is opened. 

Any other modern battery-powered device when in shutdown (eg laptop, phone, tablet etc) will self-discharge of course, but to a much lesser extent, probably up to 10% a month, certainly not losing 84% of charge in 11 days like the Move does. It's definitely off and dead to the world (shows ‘offline’ in the app) when it is powered off (long press and chime) and when powered up from that state it takes time to reconnect to the network, which is what's expected from fully off.

I have asked for a return and refund from the shop but I have been asked to submit a diagnostic by the shop in order for Sonos to determine whether it is faulty or working as designed. As I didn't see anything in the advertising that said ‘Your Move will deplete its battery to zero within 14 days of being in the fully off state’ I am saying it's a design fault, and have pointed the shop to the many, many posts on this issue but they are insisting I ‘get it checked by Sonos’ so here it is - diagnostic number 308343457. 

Apparently Sonos can review the past 20 days of usage and see if the battery is performing, from the diagnostics?

As there are no chat slots available I have posted it here. Anyone from Sonos listening?

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @Gromit2007, Thanks for reaching out, and welcome to the community. Sorry to hear about this issue with your Sonos Move and thanks for sending a diagnostic report of your Sonos system. Upon checking the diagnostic information, no issue was detected on the Sonos Move, We’ll take this further, I'll ask you to kindly contact our phone support team for further assistance and more in-depth troubleshooting steps. They may run further tests and provide an additional option if proven that it was defective.

Keep us posted on how it goes and we're here to answer any further questions you have.

Hello Simon,

Thanks for looking at the diagnostic information and for your reply. Normally I'd be happy to engage in further diagnostic tests and I appreciate your offer to do so, but in view of the many people who are finding the same thing with the Move battery, I have returned the Move to the shop and am awaiting a refund, which will be a full refund if the Move is found to be faulty but if it is deemed to be working as intended then I will have to pay the return costs of £13. 

I really like the Move but will wait for the Move Gen2 which hopefully has this issue sorted.

Incidentally, as I have sent you my data by submitting a diagnostic report but I cannot see what data I have sent you, please would you send me a copy of the data to my email address registered to this forum so that I can see what has been shared?

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @Gromit2007, thanks for the update and the information that you provided. Sorry about what happened. The diagnostic reports that you’ve sent are basically the current status of your Sonos speaker. Every diagnostic information is confidential and not be shared with any Sonos community members and strictly used for troubleshooting on Sonos. 

Please, feel free to let me know if you require any further information.

We're here to answer any further questions you have.