Skip to main content
Question

Local music library is broken, no random play, and apps keeps crashing

• 20 July 2024
  • 0 replies

I have a large local mp3 music library, shared over SMB and set up in sonos (android app). With the old app (before the disaster upgrade) I could browse by folder and random/shuffle play an entire folder with all its contents/subfolders. I have my music sorted in folders hierachically, by country / genre / artist and I used this random play functionality all the time.

In the new app all this functionality was gone, along with a lot of other essential functionality. I reverted back to the last old android app version, disabled auto update, and I was able to enjoy all those features. For a while.

But suddenly (today, returning after a holiday) the old app did not work at all anymore. “An app upgrade was required” and nothing at all worked so I was *forced* to upgrade. This did not make me happy because I used to have everything working just how I liked it with the old version.

I was a bit relieved when I discovered that my media library was accessible in the new app, including the browse by folder functionality.

However, there is no random play function. Only when I browsed to the deepest level (album level) I saw a “shuffle” button, but it only shuffled one album of course.

To make it even worse, when I tap that shuffle button, the app crashes. And keeps crashing anytime I try to reopen it. Making the entire app inaccessible. This happens every time, with every folder. I have to do a hard reset (unplug the speakers!) before the app stops crashing.

Even when I am not using shuffle play and just pick a single song, the song starts playing but the app keeps crashing.

This is too sad for words, people. Is there any reason at all why I should not throw all my sonos speakers in the trash? Because I am so totally done with this.

0 replies

Be the first to reply!