Question

Line in from TV stops working intermittently

• 27 December 2020
  • 1 reply

Sometimes when we turn on the tv and sonos  playbase, no sound comes out. If I look in the app, the TV input isn’t selected but nothing plays when I select it. Audio In shows no signal.

Other times the system works as expected with the TV and always works with music via app. If it’s not working, it fixes itself next time we turn it on. So it’s definitely an intermittent issue with the line in.

I have checked the optical cable has a red light, replaced the cable, rebooted, checked TV and sonos are up to date, checked audio format in Tv so not sure what else to look for.

I’ve submitted diagnostics - confirmation number: 161195062

Thanks

Dom

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @dreed12,

Welcome to the Sonos community. Thank you for reaching out to us and for letting us know about your concern. Let me help you with this.

Upon checking the diagnostic, your Sonos Playbase is not getting a signal from your TV. This is why there’s no sound coming out when you switch to TV.

Let me suggest the following troubleshooting steps and see if it will work for you to get audio from the TV.

1. Check if TV Autoplay enabled in the Sonos app.
    • Settings > System > [Home Theater Room] > TV Autoplay.
  2. Reboot your TV and Sonos Playbase
    • Unplug the optical cable from the Sonos Playbase and the TV. 
    • Unplug the power cable from your TV, the Sonos Playbase, and any connected audio source (such as a cable box or video game console).
    • Wait 30 seconds before you plug them back in.
    • Reconnect the optical cable directly to your TV and the Sonos Playbase. Inspect the optical cable to ensure it’s not bent or kinked and check to see that it’s fully inserted into both devices.
  3. Check for TV’s software update.
  4. Change the TV audio format (Dolby Digital 5.1, PCM i.e.)

Let us know how you get on with the advice above and run another diagnostic report. Kindly include the confirmation number in your response for us to check. If you have any questions about this. We and the community are always here to help.