Answered

issues streaming film audio from macbook pro to sonos amp

• 5 January 2023
  • 3 replies

hi there

i can stream music from my macbook pro to my sonos amp via itunes without a problem, but when i stream the audio from a film (or any video) to the amp, it often hiccups and/or cuts out. toggling the audio output off and back on or unplugging and replugging the amp sometimes works, at least for a while. but the whole thing is finicky and weird. notably, we have no problems streaming audio from video via an ipad or iphone.

sonos software is all up to date as far as i can tell and it’s a 2017 macbook pro running 12.6.2. there is a projector involved, but i can’t see how that would make a difference in the laptop/sonos connection (and we use the projector with the ipad as well, with no audio issues).

has anyone experienced anything like this? i haven’t found anything online about this specific issue.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 6 January 2023, 00:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

How are you trying to send this audio to the Sonos Amp? Is it via HDMI-ARC, or via AirPlay 2? And is it a Sonos Amp, or a Sonos CONNECT:AMP?

Based on your description, it seems like the Macbook pro is dumping on available CPU cycles to handle both video and audio streams, but that’s just a guess, and would actually depend on the answer to the above question. 

thanks for the reply. it’s being sent via airplay.

Hopefully AirPlay 2, and not AirPlay. 

I’d still suggest a choking of the Mac’s system when trying to deal with both a video stream and an audio stream at the same time. Especially on an older/slower Mac. But I’d certainly recommend that you submit a system diagnostic from the Sonos controller within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution, particularly if the signal being “received” by the Sonos device is being interrupted, or if the processing error is somewhere in the Sonos software. 

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.