Intermittent chirping/squeeking sound on all my Sonos speaker (at the same time) (S1 System)

• 26 December 2020
  • 27 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

27 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

If we watch something on the tube tonight I’ll be ready. Another thought: It could be due to a power surge or interruption due to an extremely brief outage. We’ve had heavy snow and, we also had a surge this morning that necessitated restarting our modem/router due to a lost internet connection. Regardless, I’ll attempt a diagnostic right after the next chirp. Thanks again, Bruce.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I just got off the phone with Sonos Support regarding my audio drop offs and intermittent chirping. After the Diagnostic report was reviewed, we removed my Sonos 5s as surrounds, reset the one that I heard the chirp and drop offs coming from and then, re-added the 5s back into the system as surrounds.

The agent suggested it could be a number of things. One being the router channel. Sonos uses router channel #6 and there are also channels 1 and 11. One has to contact their provider to find out how to change those if one believes the traffic on channel 6 might be causing the audio drop offs.

During my wait time, the recording informed me that one could search “Audio Skips” on the Sonos website and be directed towards a page that lists things one can do to try to alleviate the drop offs in the audio signal. These range from checking HDMI and optical cable connections (I’ve had optical cables go bad) and resetting either the TV, Roku box...etc. One other suggestion is to check your “pass through” settings on your tube; I believe that is specific to Dolby. These suggestions seem to make sense considering the audio has to travel through those units before they come out of the speakers.

All in all, I think it’s a combination of issues colliding to form a minor annoyance. Power surges, data rate fluctuations, component hiccups...etc. No concrete answer on the “chirps” but, I’ll keep monitoring the issue and see if I need to go through the aforementioned steps listed above.

I hope this helps a bit with anyone else’s issues on this matter.