Skip to main content

Hello- I currently have a sonos soundbar, sub and 2 one sls in my living room. I'm about to add an amp and two outdoor speakers. 
When I hook them up, should I keep the amp and outdoor speakers seperate from the sound bar/inside speakers? Or should I hook them all together?
My concern is that I want the inside speakers to play what's on the TV, while being able to stream music outside. But, would I also be able to occasionally be able to play the same music inside and outside?

First world problems, lol.

Your current Home Theatre is one Sonos Room and the new Amp and external speakers would be another Sonos Room.  You can group these two Room’s in ‘Party Mode’ so that the same audio is played across both Rooms (Including the TV) or play different sources in each Room.

You’ll set the amp (and outdoor speakers) as a new room to your existing Sonos system.  The soundbar + sub + one SLs should be one room already, so you’ll now have two rooms.  The two rooms can play separately or grouped together to play the same audio.   Note that when you’re playing TV audio, the outdoor speakers will be a bit behind your soundbar room and won’t match the video perfectly.  Usually not not an issue, but worth mentioning.

Thank you!

So should I run the hdmi/arc directly to the amp? Or keep it running to the sound bar?

In SONOS lingo, the soundbar and any “Bonded” surrounds and/or SUB(s) is a “Room”. The AMP is a separate Room. Rooms can be “Grouped” to play the same music. The HDMI cable is attached to whichever device is supporting the TV Room.