Skip to main content

I have 5 x Sonos 1 and 1 x Sonos SL (the one with Alexa). All the speakers run off the new app (App2 I think). I play my music via Spotify. I want to play music from my turntable and have been told I would need a Sonos 5 as it has the socket required to run an alternative music source through it. To keep costs low I was hoping to buy a 2nd hand Gen 1 Sonos 5, but a few sellers say it will only work from App1. Yet I run both Gen1 and Gen 2 Sonos 1’s  from the new app.  Would I be ok in buying a Gen 1  Sonos 5 to get what I want, connect my turntable.   Hope all this makes sense.

If it helps, i have a Sonos Connect Gen 1 which i control with the new app, and i have my turntable connected there.

May I ask how that works. Could you possibly Whatsapp me photos of it. I think I may have a Connect somewhere but am unsure how they work.  Many thanks for the reply

Don’t confuse Gen 1 and Gen 2 hardware with the S1 and S2 apps. 

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/sonos-app-version-compatibility

Also note that SL versions as I understand it have no microphone so cannot directly be voice controlled. 

You’ll need a speaker which runs on the version of the app you’re running, and has a line-in option. If you’re on S2 or web app, you’ll need a Connect, Roam2, Move2, Five, Era 100 or Era300. If you opt for either Era you’ll also need the line-in adaptor. You could also look for a pre-owned older Play:5 Gen2 (not Gen1), or Gen 1 Move or Roam. 

Hi, thank you for your reply. My mistake in describing the newer speaker, the one I have can be voice activated.  How does the connect work, as I think I may have one somewhere about the house. Thank you for your reply.   BTW the older speakers I have, along with the newer one play perfectly with the new App. 

I have 5 x Sonos 1 and 1 x Sonos SL (the one with Alexa). All the speakers run off the new app (App2 I think). I play my music via Spotify. I want to play music from my turntable and have been told I would need a Sonos 5 as it has the socket required to run an alternative music source through it. To keep costs low I was hoping to buy a 2nd hand Gen 1 Sonos 5, but a few sellers say it will only work from App1. Yet I run both Gen1 and Gen 2 Sonos 1’s  from the new app.  Would I be ok in buying a Gen 1  Sonos 5 to get what I want, connect my turntable.   Hope all this makes sense.

I believe because the Play 1 is so popular, Sonos decided to allow it to be used with the S2 app. That’s why you are able to use the Play 1 and the One/OneSL with the same app.  The Play 5 Gen 1 is NOT supported in the new app. 

For what you want to do, the least expensive option would be a used Connect S15, which is supported in the S2 app. I would opt for the Era 100, which would be next, for least expensive.

Just note, a CD player can be used without any additional accessories. To use a turntable, make sure to purchase one that has a built in pre amp, or you will need to also purchase a pre amp if the TT doesn’t have one built in. All Sonos products only have a line input.

Thank you for your reply. So I guess an old Gen 1 Sonos 5 is a no go. I think maybe a Connect S15 is my best option. I will Google how it works. Cheers.

May I ask how that works. Could you possibly Whatsapp me photos of it. I think I may have a Connect somewhere but am unsure how they work.  Many thanks for the reply

The red+white phono output cables from the preamp are simply connected to the red+white phono inputs of the Sonos Connect. But yes, it is important that there is a preamp between the turntable and the Connect. (Otherwise the volume will be very low.)

Thank you for your reply. So I guess an old Gen 1 Sonos 5 is a no go. I think maybe a Connect S15 is my best option. I will Google how it works. Cheers.

Is that a Gen1 or a Gen2 Connect? 

I have a Rega turntable. I had to buy a separate pre amp to connect it to a set of Pioneer speakers. Haven’t used it in ages. I only had the turntable a short while when I “discovered” Sonos.  But hoping to connect TT to the Sonos system. Many thanks for all the replies so far. Great community.

I went on Ebay to to look for Sonos Connect S15, but all for sale were in USA. Is the S15 name only used in the USA. I am based in Ireland so will probably need to buy from here or UK. Is there a different name for them this side of the pond? Thanks.

Did you look at the “compatibility” link I sent you above? You need to be sure that whatever you get is S2 compatible. 

Not yet but I will. I need to get my head around all the technology of the Sonos system and it’s components. Thanks.

Just note, a CD player can be used without any additional accessories. To use a turntable, make sure to purchase one that has a built in pre amp, or you will need to also purchase a pre amp if the TT doesn’t have one built in. All Sonos products only have a line input.

If you’d choose an Era speaker for this, you’d need the Sonos line in adaptor for both the CD player and the (preamped) turntable.