Skip to main content

I have a Play 5 (gen 1) and just bought a Play 5 (gen 2) to be able to use new S2 app. 

With Play5 (gen1) I connected sound directly from computer 3.5 mm output via cable to Play5 (gen1) speaker and had no sound sync issues when watching e.g. Netflix/YouTube etc. 

Then I installed S2 and connected Play 5 (gen 2) and now I have sync issues, even with direct connection with 3.5 mm cable from Computer to Speaker. I set up S1 again, and unfortunately now also Play 5 (gen 1) has sound delay when playing video (Netflix/Youtube etc). 

Any ideas? I know the point of sonos is getting rid of cables….!

Hi.  Sonos P5s are not designed to be PC speakers.  The line-in has a deliberate lag to enable external analog music sources such as CD players and turntables to be played in sync across multiple rooms.  If you try to use the line in for AV applications the picture and sound will never sync.

This has always been the case and nothing has changed in this respect between the two speakers or the S1 and S2 systems.

You can, though, minimise the lag in Settings, roomname, Audio Delay and select Low. 

You can, though, minimise the lag in Settings, roomname, Audio Delay and select Low. 

Good point.  Very possible that the gen 1 Play:5 was on the minimum delay and that that delay was too small for the OP to notice.  But the gen 2 Play:5 may currently be set to a longer delay.

I’d be interested in anyone who can “prove” that, from an intellectual standpoint. I’d always thought the minimum was in the vicinity of 75 ms, but it’s entirely possible that number got either larger or smaller in newer hardware, as they learned new information from their previous hardware release. I didn’t do enough testing before I gave away my PLAY:5 gen 1, unfortunately.