Skip to main content

I have installed 14 zones in a large custom home. Each zone consists of the following setup:

Sonos Port → DEA 704D Amp → JBL Pro Control 322C (x4)

I have had a slight buzz in all the speakers, some zones very subtle and some zones extreme. I have tried everything from grounding the rack, ground loop isolators, changing cables, checking software upgrades, changing breakers, outlets, etc … I even considered installing an entirely new breaker box to separate the audio equipment from the rest of the house.

Then I discovered when I change the source of the audio from the Sonos Port to direct cables to my iphone NO BUZZING. 

I installed a Sonos Connect Series II and NO BUZZING. 

The internet search shows similar issues and dissatisfaction with the Port having noise. I would prefer to use the Port due to is having more features than the Connect, mainly the dual mono option.

Does anyone know if there is a fix to the noise and/or a newer version of the Port coming out?

Thank you. 

What is PORT’s signal source?

Port is not grounded as a matter of course. Grab an old RCA cable, plug it into a spare socket on the Port, and ground the shield at the other end.

While I doubt that all PORT’s will be equally effected, it is possible that hum is induced due cable or PORT proximity to an external magnetic field.

What is PORT’s signal source?

Spotify 

Port is not grounded as a matter of course. Grab an old RCA cable, plug it into a spare socket on the Port, and ground the shield at the other end.

Already did this, no difference.

While I doubt that all PORT’s will be equally effected, it is possible that hum is induced due cable or PORT proximity to an external magnetic field.

Sonos Connect S2 in same location and setup

has no buzz.

Is anything connected to PORT’s Line-In? If so, replace this with shorting plugs. Does the noise level track the Volume control?

If you have anything with non-polarized plugs try flipping them.

Have you separated the signal and power cables as far as possible and if they need to cross made it as close to 90 degrees as possible?

Maybe unplug/disconnect all but the worst zone and troubleshoot it first?

Hi @DarioTexas 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.