Skip to main content
Answered

Group Name keeps reverting

• 15 July 2022
  • 5 replies

I had a Sonos One in a room called “Conservatory” and a Play 1 in my home office I called “Study”. I decided to make a stern pair in the office so bought a Sonos One SL. I moved the One from Conservatory upstairs and renamed “Office” and added the new One SL as a stereo pair. The Play 1 “Study” went downstairs and became “Conservatory”.

The problem I am having is the “Office” stereo pair continually reverts back to the name of “Conservatory” (NB The One is the left hand speaker in the pair if that’s relevant). When this happens I end up with two rooms called “Conservatory”. Last week I changed the name back and I had also been getting some playback issues os did a complete router and Sonos switch off and restart. The names were good after that. Have just come back from a work trip to Hungary and the “Office” name had changed back to “Conservatory”. Driving me nuts!

Any ideas please? Is it worth factory resetting the Original One and re-installing?

Usually this is because another service (often Apple Home) keeps the old name.

And I have never yet seen an example where it was the Sonos system itself that was doing this.  As @106rallye says, Homekit is the usual suspect.

Ah interesting. Appreciate the pointer. I don’t have home kit but I had added my speakers to Alexa so have now deleted them all and will see how it goes. If the name persists after a week I will think that’s it. I suspect it is as it makes sense.I never really used the used the control Sonos via Alexa thing as, at least when I first tried, it was next to useless for my way of using Sonos.

I think Alexa has also been the culprit on occasions, so that is certainly worth pursuing.  People have also found vestiges of Homekit on phones having first denied having it!  But see how it goes now.

I think Alexa has also been the culprit on occasions, so that is certainly worth pursuing.  People have also found vestiges of Homekit on phones having first denied having it!  But see how it goes now.

Well dang you Google you prying bast*rds!.

I don’t ever recall adding anything, let alone Sonos gear, to Home. But went and checked and sure enough there was a device called “Conservatory”. Have deleted that now as well.

It’s bad enough these companies know where I am all the time, even before I get there, they now micro monitor our internal blinking lives too! Time for a revolution methinks!