Skip to main content

Over the past few weeks I have had a number of issues appear with my Sonos system. I have tried resetting, reconnecting, moving, wiring in, and a # of other remedies hoping to fix these issues. (Please note these are all related to trying to play music, my soundbase connected directly to the TV never has issues). I have 3 Ones, a Play:5, and a Soundbase

1. Airplay is unable to connect to the Sonos (sometimes) - it just spins, and spins, and spins and then says it cannot connect
  2. Once I am connected to a speaker it is almost guaranteed it will drop connection in the first 5-10 minutes. If I am able to reconnect, it will not happen again
  3. Occasionally, if #1 or #2 happens, I can go straight into the Sonos app on my phone and see the speakers and play that way without issue. HOWEVER, sometimes I cannot even see my speakers through here, and it give me the “Lets fix it!” prompt like it wants a new network. If I do this, it finds all 5 of my speakers. I have done this multiple times, and nothing ever gets fixed.
  4. It seems if I play from my PC I never have any of these issues
  5. Today for the first time (and kind of my last straw), playing music from my PC to 4 of my speakers I suddenly got intense static on my speakers and laggy music. This only happened once before starting this post, and actually just happened for a second time (about 5 minutes after the first) halfway through this sentence. I pause, and restart the music and there is no issue until it (maybe?) happens again.

Some background - about a month ago now I changed the name of my wifi network and had to move all the speakers to this “new” network. The issues really picked up since then. I also have two routers - I have the main router downstairs on Network 1 - I then run an ethernet to another router for a second network (with a different name) and this is the network Sonos lives on. I have had this setup for over 12 months and never had it been an issue. So - unsure if that is an issue, however the issue in #3 seems like it may be confused on what network it wants to find.

Hi

There are steps to be followed when making changes to your network. Click the link to understand the proper procedure. Let us know the if you still need assistance.  

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1061?language=en_US

Hi @TKS14 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Having two routers on your network can cause some weird issues, like conflicting IP addresses or multiple subnets, if the second router is not properly configured to be in Bridge mode. I recommend you look into doing this.

You may also want to check the router(s) for Wireless Isolation options and disabling them.

Should you have trouble with any of this, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

I agree with @Corry P. I overlooked  your mention that you have two routers. 

Having two routers is always problematic. Unless properly configured regardless of having separate SSID’s.

To be honest I have 3 AUSUS routers in my network setup in an AiMesh. The central key is that only one router has DCHP privileges. The other two receive routing information from the main router via an Ethernet Backhaul   A wirelessly Backhaul can be used as well which is the case with most Mesh networks.

General WiFi coverage is excellent in my tri-level home. Each router also affords the opportunity to hard wire components in close proximity. In my case they are Apple TV boxes as well as the adjacent TV and two desktop computers. There are also a couple of switches that provide wired Ethernet connection to other peripherals.

All the above said my Sonos runs on the SonosNet using a Sonos Boost Module wired to the main router.