ethernetting wireless connect:amps

• 29 January 2024
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Ok apologies if this has been asked before - I did look.

i have 6 amps in an upstairs closet all feeding in- ceiling speakers.  It’s neater keeping them together but they are not close to the router so none can be wired via Ethernet. 

over time I’m getting more and more dropouts.  I dropped the Boost as the property is small and should be more than covered by WiFi, and it wasn’t helping.  All IP addresses are bound on the router and I have tried all available wifi channels.  

I am theorising that there is a lot of wifi noise in the closet. Would daisy-chaining them with Ethernet, and turning off the wifi on all bar one reduce the noise and improve reliability?  In my head this should work but I’m wondering if anyone has tried this?

thanks

andrew 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

The Ethernet ports on Sonos products can only be used when SonosNet is implemented - so you need a wired Sonos product and in my experience the network speed is rather slow, around 12MB/s.

I seem to recall there are some limits on daisy chaining too (maybe others here will comment on that aspect). My own thoughts are that you would be much better off cabling a switch in your ‘closet’ back to your router. Appreciate though that’s a nuisance, but likely worth all the extra effort.

The proximity of the Amps’ radios could be causing issues. (Google ‘near-far problem’ if interested.)

I’d suggest:

• Reinstate the Boost at the router.
  • Daisy-chain the 6 Amps together (it would be within STP limits).
  • Disable the radio on 5 of the Amps. Leave the radio enabled on the Amp with the best ‘view’ of the Boost.

An alternative to daisy-chaining would be a local switch.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Maybe put the Boost back to get you on SonosNet.

Wire one Amp to a switch, leave the radio on.

Then wire the others to the switch and turn off the internal radios (labeled turn off WiFi) and see if that helps.

Too lazy to go looking but there is some limit on daisy-chaining and a $20 switch will avoid it.

Do check the Sonos naughty list before shopping.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/incompatible-network-hardware

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Thanks guys — all good answers.  Looks like I was too hasty — I no longer have the Boost ☹️.   I read Sonos were moving away from Sonosnet (for new products) and I thought wifi was the way to go !!  

I have noticed it’s the older connect:amps that have the issues.  Maybe it’s time to upgrade them.  

thanks

andrew 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Upgrade is an option but rolling back to S1 until Sonos gets a handle on the issue is a lot cheaper.

Maybe even just a timer to reboot them every few days would tide you over.

Upgrade is an option but rolling back to S1 until Sonos gets a handle on the issue is a lot cheaper.

You currently need an S1 only device to roll back to S1. So it ‘perhaps’ may not be an available option in this instance.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Are there known issues at the moment around connectivity / dropouts ?  I have a mixture of Sonos Amps and Connect:amps, all running S2z

andrew

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Are there known issues at the moment around connectivity / dropouts ?  I have a mixture of Sonos Amps and Connect:amps, all running S2z

Editing my own message here : I’ve just seen the other thread about the old Connect:Amps.  Well this is frustrating, I’ve been tinkering with this stuff for months trying to restore stability, whereas it seems this kit has been hobbled with an earlier upgrade.  My fault for trying to fix this myself and not check in here.   But this is also classic Sonos, don’t acknowledge an issue and let the forums fill up with messages that go largely ignored.  

andrew

Editing my own message here : I’ve just seen the other thread about the old Connect:Amps.  Well this is frustrating, I’ve been tinkering with this stuff for months trying to restore stability, whereas it seems this kit has been hobbled with an earlier upgrade.  My fault for trying to fix this myself and not check in here.   But this is also classic Sonos, don’t acknowledge an issue and let the forums fill up with messages that go largely ignored.  

andrew

Andrew,

As far as I can tell, from my own perspective, the crux of the matter with the Connect Amp was first reported 30 days ago and for the first couple of days, over the initial weekend period, the main discussion in the thread (below) initially centred around exploring if the matter was perhaps network related.

Later, mid-week, in-stepped the Sonos Staff member @Corry P. who (I guess) had done some further digging into the matter, with diagnostics etc. and discovered there was an issue, stating that the Sonos engineering team were working on the issue as a matter of some urgency. You can see the actual Staff response/wording in this main thread…

Sadly, there’s a lot of ‘other clutter’ in the thread, but hopefully you’ll see that Sonos did step in quickly here and at the moment any potential fix is currently still awaited - I think the issue may ‘possibly’ involve the Sonos PlayBar too and I guess when resolved and tested, the fix will be released to all. 

In my own personal view, Sonos seem to have responded quickly and appropriately at the time and I guess they now just need some time to fix/test these issues.

The above of course, is just my own personal view, as someone who regularly reads a good many of the various threads here in the community. 

Sadly it never occurred to me that this was related to your reported issue, as the thread here was focused on solving potential wireless interference in your network closet by wiring some/all of your devices to the LAN and it never occurred to me that you were experiencing the Connect Amp issue as your initial report here seemed to me to relate to the new Sonos Amp, rather than the older Sonos devices.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi Ken

Thanks for the clarification and for all your help.  It’s much appreciated.  I guess it was a case of me trying to find a solution without being aware that there was an underlying cause for the problem.  Now I do, I’ll keep an eye out for any solution coming from Sonos.  

Many thanks again.

Andrew 

Personally I’d still look to disable either N or N-1 radios in an N-device rack-mount situation. Transceivers really don’t like to sit cheek by jowl.