Answered

Error Message "unable to play the selected item" when changing source or room selection

• 28 December 2021
  • 6 replies

I consistently get this error whenever I try to change any audio source or change rooms

I can change volume for the existing selections only

I have 5 amps and if I power cycle all the amps I am able to make changes

But only one selection will work after the reboot and then its back to the same problem

I have Sonos OS S1

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 28 December 2021, 19:05

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

I’m not sure there is quite enough information to make an educated guess, but concur that’s a problem. Have you tried a reboot of your router as well? How are these CONNECT:AMPs connected to your router? What router is it? Any additional details about your network setup might help. 

In the meantime, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Thanks for the reply.

Reboot of amps always resolves the issue but it occurs again when a change in source or room is made.

4 amps on wifi and 1 wired

LinkSys WRT1900ACS is the router

1GB wired network thru the house

It appears random amps are losing connection to the app, power cycle brings them back

Spoke to support and sent diags, nothing conclusive at this point

@Chuck P,
Firstly, I’m surprised you are running Sonos Amps on an S1 Household, are they the older Connect:Amps? As you have one device wired to your router, can you confirm that their WiFi adapters are enabled and that all are running on SonosNet.

Easiest way to confirm that is by checking that each device in your ‘about box’ in the Sonos App shows wireless mode WM: 0 next to each device.

If these things are confirmed then check the following things too:

• That the Wired Amp is set at least one metre away from the router to prevent any interference.
  • That the routers 2.4Ghz WiFi channel is set to a fixed non-overlapping channel, use either channel 1, 6 or 11. Also set the channel width to 20MHz only.
  • Then in the Sonos App set the SonosNet channel so it is at least 5 channels away from your chosen router channel.
  • Also make sure that WiFi credentials are NOT stored in the Sonos App under ‘Settings/System/Network/Networks’

See if that improves things for you.

Yep, running S1 with the current generation Sonos amps, got them in 2019.

No issues at all until this problem started a few months ago.

All amps show WM: 0

Wired amp and router are in different rooms

Will confirm the Wifi channel settings, I suspect those may be in need of adjustment.

They were set by the system installers and I don’t recall having a discussion with them about channel selection.

Thanks for the feedback.

Confirmed the current WiFi setting and both the Channel and Channel Width were set to Auto

Changed the settings to Channel 1 and width to 20MHz

Confirmed that the SonosNet channel is currently set to channel 6

We’ll see how that does for awhile.

This issue is now resolved.

Changes in the WiFi setting in the router as mentioned above have been effective.

No further errors and things are back to normal.

Thanks for the help.