Skip to main content

EQ for Sonos Amp

• 24 October 2021
  • 1 reply

I saw this topic:

...that wasn’t exactly easy reading for me.  I’m sure like a lot of people in the community I have invested a lot into Sonos around the home and have also re-invested with the new S2 range replacing older S1 appliances.  This is now complete.  For my shower-room, I have installed 2x Monitor Audio Controlled Performance CT380s.  With all of the hard surfaces in there, there’s probably almost as much room sound as their is source sound.  This is leading to bass boom, particularly an upper-bass harshness.  My attempts to control via loudness and bass settings tempered the situation but it’s still far from perfect.  This has been made all the worse because the Sonos Connect Amp before did not assert these issues and I could find a nice balance in this room using the simple attenuation provided far more easily.

I selected these Controlled Performance speakers because they can deliver quite a punch when necessary.  I have even bi-wired the cabling to ensure there are no current flow issues.  This helped marginally, but again has far from fixed the issue.

The Sonos user in the above link wanted to have a parametric EQ or Truplay made available to the Sonos Amp.  I will provide a REW output with all EQ off to illustrate why I also believe this is important, especially for the Sonos Amp that costs many times more than a Sonos One and yet Sonos Ones sometimes would make more sense to deploy where possible!  Not possible here because it’s not legal to have the required 3-pin mains sockets in the room, and we are super tight on space making in-ceiling speakers the only choice.

I have set this topic to ‘discussion’ to allow others to come forward with their projects and problems, and where EQ would help tremendously.  My room is a place to relax and unwind, or to get energised and ready to party, and music plays an enormous part in this from ambience to podcasts, and from electronica to hard rock.  Right now it’s more noise and limp rock!  I’m positive by enabling us to have some more advanced EQ, we can enjoy more music in acoustically difficult rooms.  Let’s make this happen!

Thank you for reading, and I hope the Sonos team will engage with us and excite us with even great innovations for Sonos Amp.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

This has been made all the worse because the Sonos Connect Amp before did not assert these issues and I could find a nice balance in this room using the simple attenuation provided far more easily.

Not sure how just the change from one amp to another has caused an orders of magnitude change in the nature of the problem; all that Sonos Amp does by doubling the power is elevate max sound levels by about 20-25%. Are you actually using these elevated sound levels that are available?