Skip to main content
Answered

Downgrade Sonos Port from S2 to S1

I have just unwrapped a new Sonos Port and tried to downgrade it from S2 to S1 in order to incorporate it into my system which contains some devices which can’t be upgraded from S1.

I can’t see the downgrade option in the Sonos app and the Sonos website indicates that v80 of the app does not support downgrading. 

Are there any other options that I can take to downgrade the Port or should I send it back and get a refund?

I have just successfully downgraded the last of 4 homes from S2 back to S1, for anybody interested here is what you need to do:

2. Delete the new Sonos CrApp, disable automatic firmware updates in the Sonos S1 App and disable automatic update of the S1  Controller App in the iOS App Store settings.
  3. Now simply enjoy your music again like before and  no matter if Sonos goes belly up or not you can continue to do so.

@Loyal customer for 12 years 

As some one that never left S1 and continued therefore to have no disturbance in the Sonos experience that many have suffered, I am only curious about this last assertion you have made under 3 above.

My understanding is that the use of even S1 involves Sonos servers in some way. If that is the case, 3 cannot be correct where it relates to a post Sonos having gone belly up time. 

Question therefore of interest to many here that are on S1 - which of the two are correct understandings of how Sonos systems work in S1?

Also very interested in this, my assumption was that as long as no changes to the setup are made / required I can continue to access and play my music library (this currently works as long as WiFi works even without internet connection) as well as Airplay to the Players that support this even if Sonos doesn’t exist anymore and their servers are down. But again, that is just my assumption based on my very limited technical knowledge.

I too would love this to be the case, but….!

Actually I worry less about Sonos going belly up, they will be bought before that happens. The worry is if Sonos or a successor pulls the plug on whatever is needed for the S1 controlled environment to work, because of commercial reasons. 

The S2 to S1 downgrade tool has been added in today’s app update.