Answered

Connection to Spotify was lost

Hello,

I am having an issue playing Spotify through my Sonos app. I keep getting an error message saying "Unable to play (song) the connection to Spotify was lost." After spending some time searching for a solution online, it became apparent that this is a widespread problem with no definitive solution. Nevertheless, I am determined to find an answer.

Additional information:

• Diagnostic: 2024196285

• Internet connection is stable.

• Issue just occured today during playback. Sonos system was installed a few weeks ago, and everything was working fine until today.

• Spotify app works fine by itself, and I can play Sonos Radio through the speakers. The issue only seems to be when I try to play Spotify through Sonos.

• I have tried powering the Sonos amps off and on. No fix.

• I have removed my Spotify account in the Sonos app, and then reconnected it. No fix.

• I have tried clearing my queue in the Sonos app. No fix.

• I checked for updates on both apps after the problem occured. No update for Spotify, but I did update Sonos. No fix.

I believe that is all the relevant information that I can provide at this time. I look forward to a response and hopefully a fix.

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by Corry P 24 June 2021, 12:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

75 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

December 11, 2021, months after the “case closed” notice posted above, and for the very first time in years of Sonos use with Spotify…. I, too got the “unable to play, cannot connect” error, and Googling it brought me here. 

Interestingly, it cannot connect and then skips to the next song, sometimes it will start playing it and then stop connecting.

FYI: Using Fios 1GB fiber optic connection through an Amazon eero Wifi router connected directly to the fiber modem (not through the Fios router - that one was sent back).

Also FYI: Playing through Sonos app on my MacBook. All apps and speakers fully updated. 

Pretty frustrating. 

Been having the same problem intermittently for the last few days.  I was thinking it was a Spotify problem as if certain files were not available to play.  I was thinking it was Spotify preparing for Spotify HiFi.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Odd as it may sound, for the last several days starting at approximately 6pm EST my Sonos connection with Spotify fails for a while (all other services work just fine and can generally still connect to Sonos system via Spotify app, but not with Sonos app).  The problems typically resolves itself a short time later.  However, over the last several days downdetector.com has also shown big spikes in outage reports for both Spotify and Sonos starting at around 6PM EST which resolves within an hour, so it’s clearly not just me. 

Maybe it’s connected to the imminent rollout of the Spotify HiFi Service? (just a guess on my part)…

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/spotify-hifi-quality-price-release-date-free-trial-and-latest-news

Userlevel 1
Badge

Guys, same frustrating problem here. Havent tried playing from the Sonos app for a couple of weeks. 

Instead, i have been using my system with Spotify connect. No problem with playback. I only use the Sonos app for grouping and EQ now. 

Im gonna keep doing this until Sonos confirms this issue is fixed. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Guys, same frustrating problem here. Havent tried playing from the Sonos app for a couple of weeks. 

Instead, i have been using my system with Spotify connect. No problem with playback. I only use the Sonos app for grouping and EQ now. 

Glad to hear of your success with running from the Spotify app.  I was thinking it was a Spotify issue.  I’ll have to try that next time.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Glad to of your success with running from the Spotify app.  I was thinking it was a Spotify issue.  I’ll have to try that next time.

No problem. The downside is that using the system does not feel as neat as it once did. I have to use two apps and the Sonos app never needs to connect to the player as Spotify connect does. So its more of a "hassle" now, but at least it plays well so far. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Interesting that Sonos just made a change to allow hi-rez Amazon, 24 bit 48kHz to be played on select Sonos products.  Wonder if a bug was caused from that bit of code.

Really disappointed to see Sonos consider this closed. I have tried many solutions and none of them are a permanent fix - some may work for a time but all fail eventually.

This is obviously an issue affecting many spotify/sonos customers but Sonos look to be unwilling or unable to resolve

Now that Sonos have your money (considerable amounts!) they do not care about supporting you knowing that you will not change manufactures

Sonos you led the whole multi room music revolution. Stop sitting on your laurels and sort this issue!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Really disappointed to see Sonos consider this closed. I have tried many solutions and none of them are a permanent fix - some may work for a time but all fail eventually.

This is obviously an issue affecting many spotify/sonos customers but Sonos look to be unwilling or unable to resolve

Now that Sonos have your money (considerable amounts!) they do not care about supporting you knowing that you will not change manufactures

Sonos you led the whole multi room music revolution. Stop sitting on your laurels and sort this issue!

Where you at, Sonos support? We need an update. 

In the meantime, did you try using your system with Spotify connect?

Something odd going on here? For years I've had rock-solid Sonos/Spotify performance. For the last few days, continual errors with connection to Spotify was lost. 

Everything works fine if using the Spotify app and connecting to the Sonos speakers that way, it’s just in the Sonos app. Some tracks play fine, some don’t and it seems to be the same tracks that continually refuse to play so that makes me think this isn’t a wi-fi connectivity issue. Anyone else?

Switched from Spotify to Apple Music within the Sonos App… and yesterday after hours playing without issues… the same problem arose, this time with Apple. This is just weird. Sonos, any comments?

I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Since experiencing the same issue as you all have I’ve been back and forth with Spotify to try numerous things.

A clean (more thorough) reinstall of the Spotify app somehow did the trick for me. Perhaps you all want to give this a try since I really get your frustrations and Sonos hasn’t come with a solution at all….

Read more about how to do a clean reinstall of Spotify: https://community.spotify.com/t5/FAQs/How-can-I-perform-a-clean-reinstall-of-the-app/ta-p/4746485

Bestest of luck!

OK - I’ve been fighting this issue for months.  In the SONOS app (doesn’t matter if I’m on Mac, PC, or phone - behaviour is the same) I’d estimate Spotify tracks play successfully <10% of the time.  Otherwise I get the “lost connection” error driving you all nuts.  This is a huge problem for me as I only use Spotify for music.  I also had the experience over the years of this problem occurring once in a while, and the problem quickly went away.  Over the last year or so, it’s become a real problem.

I’ve been through the whole tech support thing with SONOS - troubleshooting suggestions included changing the wifi frequencies, channels, and mode, changing DNS, etc.  Rebooted all SONOS devices, rebooted router, deleted and re-created Spotify service connect to SONOS.  Same experience as many of you I’m sure, and similar to the advice from @Corry P above.  I don’t know the problem between Spotify and SONOS - but it has nothing to do with any of that.

As @dasherpr above, I signed up for the Apple Music trial, created that service in SONOS, and the tracks play with 100% success (I’ve not yet seen the errors creep into the Apple service).  It is interesting that if I try to play a track from Spotify and get the error, then play from Apple with no error - if I then go back to Spotify content, it works.  After a while, the lost connection error resumes.

Best answer still seems to be the one from @Corry P 6 months ago - there is a problem in the handshake/data transfer from Spotify to SONOS.  They know what the problem is, and have done for at least 6 months.  They’ve just not gotten around to telling us about it.

Since experiencing the same issue as you all have I’ve been back and forth with Spotify to try numerous things.

A clean (more thorough) reinstall of the Spotify app somehow did the trick for me. Perhaps you all want to give this a try since I really get your frustrations and Sonos hasn’t come with a solution at all….

Read more about how to do a clean reinstall of Spotify: https://community.spotify.com/t5/FAQs/How-can-I-perform-a-clean-reinstall-of-the-app/ta-p/4746485

Bestest of luck!

That did seem to make the playback from Spotify app to SONOS speaker work better - but has not changed anything about playing from within the SONOS app.

When is the update coming, I get the same now for all my services Calm, Sonos Radio, Spotify. I have removed both apps, reset Sonos, even hardwired into router this happens. 

6 months or more as Sono has pointed out this has ben happening and not resolve! What is really going on, this should not be that hard to figure out! You guys are tech companies! 

Where is the solution on what we are investing in with subscriptions and expensive speakers!? 

This issue with Sonos and Spotify is so frustrating. Have similar connection issues with Sonos Radio too. You pay lots of money for these speakers and so limited to the music and quality of music you get, so frustrating, we are capture as I have 3 of these speakers. Would not support anyone else buying Sonos! Software fix shoudl have been resolved years ago when this issue was first discussed. My fool me it seems to thing this supposedly quality product would resolve such a simple issue. Internet is not the issue which appears their fallback. 

Badge

This Spotify “connection was lost” issue is super annoying. It’s not happening with tunein, Apple Music, or Soundcloud. Sonos has to fix this! don't blame Spotify - you need to work together with Spotify to rectify this issue.

Funny thing is; I have three households and this issue only seems to occur in one of them. What is unique with the household with the issues? Cable-ISP (not fiber), Lots of networks around (but I have chosen the least busy channel for my SonosNet). Always Spotify having issues, not the other services.

Please help! My diagnostics no is 1150008154

Thx!

I have same ”connection lost” problems too with all my music services. I have had Sonos products almost ten years without any big issues but last week I updated my Sonos systems from S1 to S2 and then these problems started. I regret that I made this update. I have 6 Sonos Ones, Sonos boost (which is wired to router) and Sonos Port. Before this update everything work fine. I just add Sonos Port to my systems and made this update to S2. Because of Sonos Port I can’t go back to S1. What about others, do you use S1 or S2?

Post deleted. See my reply below…

I just add Sonos Port to my systems and made this update to S2. Because of Sonos Port I can’t go back to S1. What about others, do you use S1 or S2?

The Wife & I use both S1 and S2 Sonos Systems here at our Home, we have new and old Sonos products and so have both controller Apps on our mobiles.

By the way you didn’t have to upgrade to S2 for the Sonos Port, as that device is both S1/S2 compatible, as shown here in this Sonos Support Page:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4786

I just add Sonos Port to my systems and made this update to S2. Because of Sonos Port I can’t go back to S1. What about others, do you use S1 or S2?

By the way you didn’t have to upgrade to S2 for the Sonos Port, as that device is both S1/S2 compatible, as shown here in this Sonos Support Page:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4786

I didn¨t know that then. I just assumed that new version should be better than old one. So I wanted to update. Is there any chance to go back to S1?

I have same ”connection lost” problems too with all my music services.

I have 6 Sonos Ones, Sonos boost (which is wired to router) and Sonos Port. Before this update everything work fine.

Anyhow @Pop74  the ‘connection lost’ issues you mention, will likely not be related to the Sonos S2 App (upgrade) as what you are more-likely experiencing here, sounds like a network-related matter perhaps arising from a router reboot, or change in WiFi/SonosNet channels.

Some routers will auto-select their WiFi channels on startup/reboot or their DHCP server can get confused when assigning IP addresses to multiple devices restarting at the same time across the LAN subnet.

I suggest perhaps trying this…

Set your routers 2.4Ghz WiFi band to use a ‘fixed’ non-overlapping WiFi channel, either 1, 6 or 11 and if the router allows set the channel-width to 20MHz.

If using SonosNet, then ensure you have one Sonos device only wired to the main router and set the SonosNet channel so it is at least 5 channels away from your chosen router channel. Also keep any wired product at least one metre away from the router.

Power off all Sonos products and the router and bring them back online in this order:

• Modem/Router 
  • Wired Sonos Products
  • Wireless Sonos Products (nearest to router, then next nearest etc.)

Let each device settle and connect to the internet before moving onto the next device.

Once all is setup and working then (optionally) consider adding your Sonos device IP addresses to the routers DHCP server’s reservation table as that should certainly help to prevent any further IP address conflicts going forward. HTH

I didn¨t know that then. I just assumed that new version should be better than old one. So I wanted to update. Is there any chance to go back to S1?

There’s every chance you might encounter the same ‘connection lost’ issues now, even if you could revert back to an S1 System. You will ‘undoubtedly’ be far better off running all on S2 in the longer term… it’s probably just a case of sorting the Network issues here (I believe) …and my post above should (hopefully) go someway to help resolve those issues seen since the upgrade.🤞

3 years no issues. Last two weeks I cannot connect  Spotify to Sonos. Tried all remedy’s. Painful.