Skip to main content

I will have 2 zones in my outdoor patio. I am planning on connecting the amp directly to the router via ethernet cable. Since i will have two sonos amps i was going to connect both of them directly to the router.  I noticed the amp has two ethernet ports and was wondering can i run one ethernet cable to the router and then use the other ethernet port to connect to the second sonos amp? will i lose any internet speed, will there be any audio delay? I have two zones so i can connect outdoor tv and speakers to 1 zone and garden speakers for the other zone and then use both zones for music.  Thanks for your help.

There should be absolutely no problems at-all in doing that!

Keep in mind the Sonos ports are only 100s so adding a heavy data using device downstream can be an issue. A Sonos, or even a few isn’t usually a problem.

Have you considered just running a single Gigabit Ethernet wire and adding an inexpensive Ethernet switch, hook all your devices to it and it will share with all of them. Five and eight port switches run $20 to $50. Do check the Sonos problem hardware list before buying.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/incompatible-network-hardware

Thanks for your input Alex and stanley.  I have no idea what 100s mean Stanley, forgive my ignorance in this area.  To give you a full idea of what i’m working with.  I have AT&T fiber for my internet and cable usage. I have two ethernet ports available on my router still.  As for the router its from At&T and currently have sonos sound bar directly wired into it and with no issue.  

Thanks for your input Alex and stanley.  I have no idea what 100s mean Stanley, forgive my ignorance in this area.  To give you a full idea of what i’m working with.  I have AT&T fiber for my internet and cable usage. I have two ethernet ports available on my router still.  As for the router its from At&T and currently have sonos sound bar directly wired into it and with no issue.  

100 mbps.  It’s the maximum bandwidth of their Ethernet connection.  They aren’t ever going to use more, and most modern routers have 1 Gig capabilities.  

Since you already have one Sonos product connected to your router, you can actually benefit off of Sonosnet, and might not need to wire either of the Amps

Alex, didn’t think about that.  so lets go with this idea for a minute.  When i add the two sonos amps.  I would add them in the sonos app and create a zone for each one.  Since i already have my soundbar directly connected to the router and subwoofer paired with it.  The sonosnet will recognize it and give the amps the internet connection/signal it needs to work. Am i correct here? now here is another part of the setup hahaha!  I have two options on where to put the sonos amps. 

Option 1, i put the sonos amps inside the house, most likely the basement and run the speaker wire and hdmi cable (tv) from outside to inside the house.  The sonosnet provides the signal i need to work the amps that will provide the music and tv audio for outside patio. 

option 2, I am having a covered pavillion/pergola installed that will have a tv wall built with it. I would have the two amps installed outside behind the tv.  The amps would be enclosed and protected against the elements and brought in during winters. The thought process here is that if the hdmi cable for tv ever goes bad it would be easier for me to swap hdmi cables with the amps being right behind the tv. (I’ve had hdmi cables go bad and the thought of having to dig up the cable to replace it would be a headache in itself.)  In this scenario, would the amps pickup the sonosnet outside in the patio?  

I dont know you if you would know this answer, just sharing my thoughts. Construction on my patio will start soon so trying to figure out what would be the best route to go.

sonos amp 1, controlling audio from tv and outdoor speakers inside pavillion

sonos amp 2 controlling sonance garden speakers that are place around patio and firepit. 

I want to be able to play music with garden speakers and if anyone else is watching tv, they can hear the tv audio as well.  One amp wouldn’t allow me to play both at the same time, thus two amps two zones. i know i can play music on all of the speakers by grouping them, but i try to play tv audio on all speakers there would be a delay. 

sorry for the long delay. Just providing you picture of what i’m trying to accomplish

You could install the HDMI cable in a conduit large enough to allow pulling a replacement cable if necessary.

If you have a LAN connection to the AMP’s outside, there is no network advantage with respect to locating the AMP’s indoors.

Long HDMI cables can be a nag. In this case only audio needs to travel to the connected AMP and the bandwidth limits associated with long cables don’t apply.

If the AMP’s are protected outside, I’m not worried.

If you decide to add a wireless SUB outside, locating AMP outside is an advantage. In this case, don’t enclose AMP in a metal box.

Hi Buzz, thanks for your input. the sonance speakers come with outdoor weather proof subwoofer that connects through the amp hardwired with the speakers. 

That’s half the magic of Sonosnet, you have no idea if it’s going to reach or not hahah. But for real, if you have Amp 1 some way to the second Amp, and you can reach your main WiFi at Amp 1, then hopefully it shouldn’t be too far to Amp 2 to bounce the signal. If all else fails, you can always fall back to wired on Amp 2

Haha you got a good point.  I’m just debating do i do option 1 amps inside or option 2 amps outside.  what y’all think? 

I’m anal with respect to wiring network clients whenever possible. WiFi is becoming more capable with each (incremental) generation, but the number of local wireless gadgets is exploding faster than the raw wireless capabilities. WiFi6 is finally getting some traction, but you get the full benefits only when everything on your network is WiFi6. WiFi7 is knocking on the door and will dramatically increase capability. Meanwhile, there are tons of WiFi4 and WiFi5 gadgets in our homes, such as SONOS, that will not be replaced anytime soon. In a scan of my home, I might have seen a small handful access points in the past, now I can sometimes see dozens. (One day I stopped counting at 70) All of this clutter results in increased interference and slower overall performance. It’s an arms race. Simple systems are being drowned, so bigger guns, mesh systems, are being brought in. When these drown, more mesh points are brought in. Then there are the people who think that they are smarter than rest of us and use wider channels and off grid channels, making life miserable for all of us and themselves.

SONOS benefits from robust wired connections. Certainly, wireless is great for that impractical to wire newly added player and things in your pocket, but I don’t think that new construction should be designed to keep everything wireless.

thanks for your input Buzz.  wired connection will always be best.