Skip to main content

Hi,

I am looking at purchasing a Sonos Amp as well as 2 pairs of Sonos in-ceiling speakers. I want to use 2 ceiling speakers (1 pair) outdoors for outdoor entertainment, and the other 2 speakers (1 pair) in the lounge room for watching TV as well as listening to music, all connected into the one amp. I would like to be able to turn off the outdoor speakers while using the indoor ones and vice-versa.  

I have done some searching and found that a cost effective alternative (instead of buying another amp) is to buy an impedance matching switch. I don’t want a volume controlling switch just an on and off one is fine. Will this one do the job?

Monoprice 4-Channel Speaker Selector https://amzn.asia/d/cQ6XXRs

I would also like to know if I am still able to use all of the amps smart features, e.g volume control through the app, Trueplay, and connect another Sonos product such as the Arc Soundbar to the amp to play sound through ceiling speakers and sound-bar simultaneously

If someone has any slight ideas or knowledge it would be greatly appreciated. :)

In my opinion this sort of speaker selector would be a better choice for your installation.

You will have full control of the speakers. AMP will not actually know that there are two pairs.

Trueplay assumes that it has full control of a single pair of speakers. In your case you could enable one Room and use Trueplay for that Room. If you then use Trueplay for the other room, the first Room’s Tureplay will become invalid. Certainly you can always play both Rooms, but the results could be less than ideal if the “wrong” Trueplay is in control. When playing both Rooms, consider disabling Trueplay.

AMP cannot store multiple Trueplay configurations. You would need to execute the full Trueplay sequence when changing Rooms.

Perfect! That switch is exactly what I was looking for and I think I’ll go for that one. 

In terms of trueplay compatibility, I’m happy to only have the inside speakers set up, which won’t be a problem. And when you say full control, do you mean that I am able to use it like any other amp without a switch, and also link it to other wireless sonos products?

sorry that was my final question. Otherwise this was the exact response I was looking for!

Thanks heaps

The SONOS App controls AMP. AMP has no idea how many speakers are connected. The App will select music to play and adjust Volume, all speakers connected to the AMP will respond. It will not be possible to adjust one pair of speakers relative to the other pair connected to that AMP.

If you have multiple SONOS Rooms (a “Room” is a single AMP, speaker, pair of speakers, or surround system) each can be controlled individually or “Grouped” with other Rooms to play the same music.

I have been using this Monoprice switch for 2 years with AMP and have great results.   Select zone or zones that I want to use and control the rest through the amp as 1 room.   Easy and very little sound loss if any.   Great price for the result!