connecting Pro-Ject T1 Phono SB to zPlay 5 speakers wirelessly

• 8 December 2023
  • 6 replies

Before ordering the Pro-Ject T1 Phono SB turntable I spoke with Sonos customer service and was assured that I did not need additional components to connect to my Play 5 2nd get speakers. After unpacking and setting up my turntable I discovered this is no the case. 

What components do I need to connect it wirelessly to my Play 5s. Customer service has been of no help.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

If this turntable has a switch for a pre-amp, make sure that switch (sometimes under the platter, or on the back panel) is turned to line, and not phone. If it doesn’t have a built in preamp, they’re relatively inexpensive, but you’ll need on to boost the signal to a level that Sonos can work with. Then connect the two RCA jacks to a RCA to 3.5mm cable (stereo), and plug that in to the back of your PLAY:5 gen 2. Follow the instructions in this FAQ.

I’m not sure why customer service would say that, but a non-Bluetooth capable Sonos speaker will always need a cable connection to the Line-In to play external sources like a turntable. 

My speakers are not near the turntable. My old turntable connected to the system wirelessly through the Connect component, which I no longer have, and Sonos no longer carries.

The Sonos CONNECT was replaced by the Sonos Port. 

Thanks

Thanks

Note that the new Era 100 can be used as a less expensive Line-In source than the Port.  You would need to purchase the Sonos Line-In accessory as well as the Era 100.