Answered

Connecting Move to Peloton via Bluetooth

• 10 October 2019
  • 14 replies

So...I seem to be able to connect the Move to any device (iphone, etc.). And I can connect the Peloton to any speaker (headphone, etc.). And I can pair the Move with the Peloton. But, when I start a ride/stretch it says no device is connected. Anyone else have this issue? Is there a solution?
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 17 October 2019, 14:04

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

I am having this exact same problem. Any chance you figured this out?

I am having this exact same problem. Any chance you figured this out?

Not yet - crickets...

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I suspect the Peleton is connecting using a headset or hands free Bluetooth profile rather than just as a plain speaker profile. 

I started a Reddit thread about this too. There isn’t much left to try, unfortunately. I don’t know if it’s a poor BT implementation by Sonos or by Peloton, but I know which device is going to get returned...

https://www.reddit.com/r/pelotoncycle/comments/diyocm/has_anyone_used_a_sonos_move_bluetooth_with_a/

Userlevel 7

@nol_smi@bockersjv @ajkidle 

I assume all ride the Peloton bike. I also assume that the Peloton was not the first device you paired the Move to via BT.  

The Move uses it’s own logic. It will always pair via BT to the last device it was linked to; and if not in range it will move to the next remembered device. 

Therefore, since your Peloton is an indoor product and you most likely have your cell phone or other device somewhere in house it will ignore the Peloton and pair to as I said the device it was last linked to and go down the list from there.

Next time try this… Turn BT off on the devices you previously paired over BT with the Move. Those devices not transmitting BT will force the Move to look at the Peloton.  If a successful pairing unless you force a BT pairing with another device between the pairing with Move the Move will recognize the Peloton as the last device paired over BT.

Let us know if this solution works for you. If not there is probably an issue with the Peloton pairing procedure and the Move.

Cheers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

If Peleton is using the Headset Profile, which according to that Reddit post is the transmission profile, I think the Move will not accept this.  I can’t verify yet but I think the move probably only accepts generic Audio Profile.

Anyone from Sonos confirm the BT Profiles the Move will work with?

Okay - got it to work. @AjTrek1 was correct, the Move was pairing with my phone … so once I broke that connection, things started to work.

There is still something wrong with the Peloton BT implementation, but I think it’s mostly a cosmetic flaw. Here is the solution that worked for me:

• Turned off BT on my iPhone to prevent the Move from connecting to it
  • Connected the Move to the bike on Peloton’s BT Settings page,. The Move appears with a headphone icon next to it, which I assume indicated the BT profile being used
  • When I start a ride, Peloton tells me there are no BT devices connected, and it doesn’t list the Move or anything else as an option to connect to … but I think this is just cosmetic, ...because
  • Then actually start the ride, and audio plays through the Move

Userlevel 7

@ajkidle 

Glad the solution worked! Enjoy your ride and stay fit :relaxed: /

Userlevel 7

Just FYI, as you wouldn’t want to turn off BT on multiple devices to force a pair on a device that had been paired before.

The Sonos Move can remember up to the last 6 devices it was connected to. By pressing and holding the Play/Pause button, Move will attempt to connect with the next most recently used device. This procedure can be used for the maximum of 6 devices.

Cheers!

Thanks! Has anyone managed to find a more elegant solution? Or is this something that Sonos can “fix” so it isn’t as finnicky?

Hey everyone. In regards to @alvin01’s response, the given workaround would be the most supported solution that we can recommend. As @AjTrek1 specified, the Move attaches to its last saved target. If the phone has BT enabled, that will be the target.

You may try to forget the Move’s bluetooth signature on the phone when paired with the Peloton to attempt a priority shift. I have seen similar scenarios work.

The bluetooth mode is a passive process compared to the Sonos WiFi mode in that we have limited configurability. But I would be happy to pass along some feedback along to Sonos regarding better bluetooth integration/configurability. 

Everyone, I just purchased the Move and paired with my peloton yesterday (unfortunately before I saw this thread). It took me a few tries, but @AjTrek1‘s advice is the easiest solution. If you pair the MOVE to your bike first before your phone, tablet, etc. you can alleviate the problem. I did not do this at first, but did eventually turn off the Bluetooth settings of my iPhone and iPad, then I restarted both the Move and my peloton bike and was able to sync to the MOVE directly from the Bluetooth display settings on the bike and BT pairing instructions on the MOVE.  Pretty simple...Again, once paired, it will not show as connected on the bike unless you open the BT manager on the bike, but fear not, it will show that it is connected and more importantly, it will play through the MOVE speaker.  

Enjoy!

SDW

Ok guys so I figured out how to hook up 1 move speaker but here’s another question - how do I make 2 move speakers active via bluetooth though the Peloton? Or in a sense how do I make any 2 devices active in Bluetooth? Thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

You can’t. Currently you cannot pair two moves for stereo via Bluetooth. That can only be done via WiFi and the Sonos app.