Skip to main content

Hi everyone,

I am a beginner in this field. We got this second hand system in my house. We have Sonos speakers installed in the walls and ceiling. We have an entertainment stand with Apple AirPort Extreme, a switch, a Sonos connect, a Denon AVR-X2600H and a subwoofer. There is another Sonos connect in the pantry room connected to other wall Sonos speaker. I don’t see green light on sono connects and cannot hear sound from speakers. Appreciate any help and assistance. 

In many respects a SONOS CONNECT attaches to a system as if it is a cassette deck. Speakers cannot be directly wired to a SONOS CONNECT. The light can be turned OFF with a setup option and it behaves differently, depending on the system software installed on the unit. As a silly, make sure that the unit has power.

Before proceeding any farther, I suggest that you Factory Reset the SONOS units. This will remove the previous owner’s settings. Otherwise there could be some confusing interactions between your units and the previous owner’s current SONOS units.

In many respects a SONOS CONNECT attaches to a system as if it is a cassette deck. Speakers cannot be directly wired to a SONOS CONNECT. The green light can be turned OFF with a setup option.

Before proceeding any farther, I suggest that you Factory Reset the SONOS units. This will remove the previous owner’s settings. Otherwise there could be some confusing interactions between your units and the previous owner’s current SONOS units.

Thank you for your reply. I have factory reset them. I don’t know which Ethernet cables should connect to Sonos connect. In addition, there is another Sonos connect in the pantry room and I don’t know if and how these two should get connected 

Thank you for your reply. I have factory reset them. I don’t know which Ethernet cables should connect to Sonos connect. In addition, there is another Sonos connect in the pantry room and I don’t know if and how these two should get connected 

You need to install the Sonos app on your phone, then add the Connects to your system, if you haven’t already done so. Then get something playing on the Denon system and select the Line-in as a source on the Sonos app. You should then hear what’s playing on the Denon through a set of Sonos speakers. Lets get to that point first, and then we can run through grouping and other elements of what Sonos can do for you. 

Based on the image above, there is currently no connection to allow DENON audio to play on SONOS.

You need to install the Sonos app on your phone, then add the Connects to your system, if you haven’t already done so. Then get something playing on the Denon system and select the Line-in as a source on the Sonos app. You should then hear what’s playing on the Denon through a set of Sonos speakers. Lets get to that point first, and then we can run through grouping and other elements of what Sonos can do for you. 

I had installed the app and the Sonos connect is added. When I click on line-in, it gives me error. I have an Ethernet cable connect the Sonos connect to Apple airport and audio red and white out from Sonos connect to red and white audio in of Denon CBL/SAT. Not sure what to do? Tired of it

Based on the image above, there is currently no connection to allow DENON audio to play on SONOS.

Thanks for reply. I connected to audio in CBL/SAT from audio out of Sonos connect. Not working

SONOS Line-In is aware when nothing is connected.

Play a music service in the CONNECT wired to the DENON.

SONOS Line-In is aware when nothing is connected.

Play a music service in the CONNECT wired to the DENON.

Sonos connect is connected to airport and airport to TV by Ethernet cable. Denon is connected to a switch by Ethernet cable and to TV by HDMI. Sonos connect is not directly connected to Denon. 

I suggest connecting Line-Out to the DENON.

I suggest connecting Line-Out to the DENON.

I tried Ethernet cable from Sonos connect to network port of Denon and one Ethernet from Sonos connect to airport. Still same error

I had installed the app and the Sonos connect is added. When I click on line-in, it gives me error. I have an Ethernet cable connect the Sonos connect to Apple airport and audio red and white out from Sonos connect to red and white audio in of Denon CBL/SAT. Not sure what to do? Tired of it

Your so-called “error message” is actually an information message. It’s telling you to connect something to the line-in. 
The Connects accept an input, not an output. The “music” will come through that line-in. (The Ethernet network cable may not even be needed, but leave it plugged in for now.) So again I say: get something playing on the Denon, connect an output from the Denon to the line-in on the Connect. 

Any Ethernet port should be connected to the router, not between devices.

Hi @Audsyst 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Sorry to hear of the issues you’ve been having with integrating your Sonos Connect with your Denon AVR.

I think the important thing to establish here is what it is that you are trying to achieve - are you trying to 1) stream music from the internet using Sonos and have it play through the Denon, or are you trying to 2) have an input to the Denon (like a CD Player) play on the Sonos system? Or, both?

Needed connections:

1. Connect an Output of the Connect to an Input of the Denon. This can be analogue (line out to line in, say CD) or digital (there is a CBL/SAT coaxial digital input and a GAME optical digital input free on the Denon) Be sure that the Denon has the correct input selected (the digital inputs are programmable and can be assigned to various (HDMI) inputs, so this may need extra configuration - consult the Denon manual). The Denon may induce delays on it’s inputs, so synchronised playback with Sonos speakers may be difficult.
  2. Connect the Zone 2 RCA output of the Denon to the Line-in input of the Connect. In the Sonos app, choose the Connect’s line-in as the source for other Sonos speakers and ensure the Denon is playing something. Note that if audio is playing through both the Denon and Sonos speakers at the same time, the Sonos feed will be delayed by at least 75 milliseconds.

I hope this helps.

Edit: I should add that if you want the AirPort Express to be a AirPlay input, connect it to an extra input on the Denon, and select this input on the Denon controls when you want AirPlay to feed into the Connect.

Hi @Audsyst 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Sorry to hear of the issues you’ve been having with integrating your Sonos Connect with your Denon AVR.

I think the important thing to establish here is what it is that you are trying to achieve - are you trying to 1) stream music from the internet using Sonos and have it play through the Denon, or are you trying to 2) have an input to the Denon (like a CD Player) play on the Sonos system? Or, both?

Needed connections:

1. Connect an Output of the Connect to an Input of the Denon. This can be analogue (line out to line in, say CD) or digital (there is a CBL/SAT coaxial digital input and a GAME optical digital input free on the Denon) Be sure that the Denon has the correct input selected (the digital inputs are programmable and can be assigned to various (HDMI) inputs, so this may need extra configuration - consult the Denon manual). The Denon may induce delays on it’s inputs, so synchronised playback with Sonos speakers may be difficult.
  2. Connect the Zone 2 RCA output of the Denon to the Line-in input of the Connect. In the Sonos app, choose the Connect’s line-in as the source for other Sonos speakers and ensure the Denon is playing something. Note that if audio is playing through both the Denon and Sonos speakers at the same time, the Sonos feed will be delayed by at least 75 milliseconds.

I hope this helps.

Edit: I should add that if you want the AirPort Express to be a AirPlay input, connect it to an extra input on the Denon, and select this input on the Denon controls when you want AirPlay to feed into the Connect.

Very good points. I could add the second Sonos connect to the app but it doesn’t stream to the other speakers. I could successfully do the option one using the first Sonos connect and ceiling speakers but not the second connect and other speakers. 

my problem is how to connect TV to denon and stream the audio of TV to speakers. I have optical connected but doesn’t work. Appreciate any help. 

where should I connect network cable from denon to?

thanks a lot

In your second image there is no way to play SONOS through the DENON. You can play audio from the DENON through SONOS. You will need to select the source to be sent to SONOS Line-In using the Zone2 control of the DENON.

In your second image there is no way to play SONOS through the DENON. You can play audio from the DENON through SONOS. You will need to select the source to be sent to SONOS Line-In using the Zone2 control of the DENON.

I have connected zone 2 precut from denon to line in of Sonos. Is it wrong? 

why TV is not playing through Sonos speakers ? I have connected TV optical to optical on Denon and another HDMI from TV to CBL/SAT HDMI in of Denon and neither works. I am very beginner. 

I have connected Apple AirPort Extreme to TV, a netgear switch and Sonos connect. Anything wrong?

How sure are you that everything you inherited works?

As a test, connect a source directly to the Sonos Connect and be sure it works. Then reconnect that to the Denon receiver and try to find how it’s wired. 
Trying to diagnose this for you remotely is rather challenging. If you’re a beginner, talk to you friends near you and ask for help. Or call the vendor you bought from. 

I suggest that you add a stereo RCA cable between CONNECT’s Line-Out and the receiver’s CBL/SAT.

Where is that lone HDMI cable connected?

Hi @Audsyst 

my problem is how to connect TV to denon and stream the audio of TV to speakers. I have optical connected but doesn’t work. Appreciate any help. 

Please bear in mind that it is possible that the Denon won’t pass a digital input (optical/HDMI) through to an analogue output (RCA). Please consult the manual for the Denon to find out.

where should I connect network cable from denon to?

If the Denon has an ethernet socket, it should be connected to the router, or to a network switch that is in turn connected to the router.

I hope this helps.